Join now - be part of our community!

Will Sony update current models with Google TV?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
deanpullenuk
Visitor

I believe Sony has exclusivity with Google until April 2011, but will they upgrade current models to Google TV? E.g. I have an 803.

Cheers,

Deano,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

From a technical perspective, Google TV uses Intel chipset unlike BRAVIA thus it would be impossible to upgrade.

Thanks

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Catmambo
Contributor

From a technical perspective, Google TV uses Intel chipset unlike BRAVIA thus it would be impossible to upgrade.

Thanks

deanpullenuk
Visitor

Ah I hadn't realised Google TV was x86 based. Ta.

kleeks
Visitor

Is this still the case with the latest Bravia sets (I now own a kdl-32EX724)

Having wrongly assumed the internet interface on the set was the same as the u-tube demo (which I now realise was the google tv interface), I was a little disappointed with what I had.

There's nothing wrong with the TV itself, so I guess if its not going to ever get google tv on it, the correct course of action is to pick up a Bluray player with google tv built in - I need to grab a 3D variant now (more out of curisoity than a desire to watch everything in 3D) - does anyone have a suggestion with regards to models (sony of course !)

kleeks

Ballcocks
Explorer

As a software developer, I know that it would be possible to port Google TV to other platforms. It would be a good move for SONY to keep exsiting customers happy. But this will be driven by the marketting dept. who may think that they will sell more sets if the existing ones become obsolete.

I would be more likely to stick with a supplier who looks after me. If my TV becomes outdated then of course I will look around at other manufacturers.