Join now - be part of our community!

802.11n configuration

MoldCAD
Visitor

802.11n configuration

I have bought the new VAIO VGN-AR51SU and the Linksys WAG325N router (also supporting N) in hope this would enable other computers in my LAN to use the VAIO's BluRay and other multimedia. I know the n-draft speed of 270 Mbps is theoretical, but even half of that would be more than enough for my purpose. However, when I configured the WiFi on ny Vaio, it shows the connection speed of 54 Mbps (standard for 802.11g), and the real transmission speed averages at some 20 Mbps!

How do I configure the Vaio wifi to take full advantage of the 802.11n standard?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.pt_PT.title
V57...
Contributor

Try this…
Go to system – hardware – and in the device Intel Wireless Wifi Link, go to advanced properties and you must put:
802.11n Channel Width – Auto
802.11n Mode -Enabled

MoldCAD
Visitor

Try this…
Go to system – hardware – and in the device Intel Wireless Wifi Link, go to advanced properties and you must put:
802.11n Channel Width – Auto
802.11n Mode -Enabled

Thanks, but I have this already. I can see that in the Transmission mode drop-down list, the 802.11n is not listed - I have tried g, b/g and a/b/g to no avail - the nominal speed is still displayed as 54 Mbps. I've no experience with the n strandard; is it supposed to display a higher speed when the two devices talk in 802.11n?

profile.country.pt_PT.title
V57...
Contributor

yes, you are right...something is wrong...
I have the same Vaio and iy appears only 54 Mbps...
I have a desktop with the same router (WRT300N) and it appears 290/300 Mbps...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I don't think this model has an N rated card.

MoldCAD
Visitor

I don't think this model has an N rated card.

What makes you say that? It's in the specs; also when configuring the wifi driver, there're "n" entries. .. Only they don't work.

Do you have a model with n rated card? If so, what are your settings - please provide detailed settings of the "advanced" tab in Device Manager. TIA!

kee-lo_

I don't have your model, or access to it.

If it's not working then it's probably not rated N, this isn't the first time Sony have said something in their blurb to have customers asking us on the forum why no this and why not that.

MoldCAD
Visitor

OK, so it does work, after all! I got a great local (Polish) support from Linksys (the router's manufacturer)- their newest beta firmware did the trick!

kee-lo_

Great

MoldCAD
Visitor

Great

Well, not so great... It only connects at 130 Mbps, while after disabling the on-board wifi card and configuring the Linksys USB card, it connects at the full 300 Mbps! I gues it's the matter of antennas (the Linksys card has two); is there a way to connect an external antenna to the Vaio's own wifi card?

Can anyone connect to a 802.11n access point at a speed higher than 130 Mbps, using the Vaio's own wifi card?