Join now - be part of our community!

86 degrees after long time cpu usage

fotiselianos
Visitor

86 degrees after long time cpu usage

Hi there

After compiling many linux packages on the raw for example compiling a new gcc compiler and generally when cpu usage is at its max for a long time bigger than 30minutes the cpu temperature reaches above 80 with 87 maximum. Are those high temperatures normal?
My laptop is Sony Vaio A series (centrino)

Thanx

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I don't know what is whit Centrinos.

But a Pentium4 with over 90 degrees was die.

Normally I would say you have a big problem with your Notebook.
But I think your problem is Linux (hardware is incompatible with the software)

I have the same problem with Linux, but my PCG-FR315s isn't so hot.

The temperature from your Notebook isn't normal.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

The Maximum recommended case temperature of a Pentium M processor is 100C. The processor is running within its specifications.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

100C ........wow:smileyshocked:

kee-lo_

Personally I wouldn't let it get that high, the excess heat will cause long term damage and cause your other hardware to get rather hot too.

Jay1
Visitor

Personally I wouldn't let it get that high, the excess heat will cause long term damage and cause your other hardware to get rather hot too.

Yes i agree as well, the cooller the better plus it should use less power if cooller

robpaxton
Explorer

But, as I said earlier, The recommended maximum temperature is 100C - it's the same as a lot of the mobile Celeron processors. The catastrophic shutdown temperature for the Pentium M is a rather amazing 125C (or 135c - I can't remember exactly). So the computer is running well within the specifications from Intel.

kee-lo_

The term "It's like an oven in here" springs to mind LOL

robpaxton
Explorer

Intel are normally fairly conservative with their specifications - they rarely push their processors to the limit so I would say that 87C won't cause any real problems.

Most of the time the processor will run much cooler anyway.

kee-lo_

Yeah they usually are.
The lower the tempreture the better performance you get.