Join now - be part of our community!

AMD Radeon causing Blue Screen

profile.country.en_GB.title
tkell97
Visitor

AMD Radeon causing Blue Screen

Hi,

I'm having a very iritating issue with my Sony Vaio VPC-SB3C5E notebook computer. Often (ie over 60%) of the time when I switch my laptop to 'Speed mode' and enable the AMD Radeon HD 6470M dedicated graphics my laptop will blue screen and force me to turn it off.

When I eventually manage to get the computer to switch, it will work fine but the driver will occassionally crash when doing something graphics intensive (like video editing) and the pop-up 'AMD display driver has been recovered successfully will come up.' I have tried reinstalling the graphics card driver, however have not done anything else yet.

It is possible that an update has caused the problem, because I have installed all of them and the computer did not seem to have this problem in the first few months of owning it.

I'd be very greatful for any suggestions to fix this problem. Although it is within the warranty period, it would be a huge inconvenience to have to send it away to be repaired since I am very dependant on my computer for a number of reasons.

2 REPLIES 2
warriorfullight
Visitor

If it is possible to change the fan you have in your Vaio, that would be great. Sometimes, cleaning the fan saves you a lot of trouble.

tkell97
Visitor

I wondered whether it was a problem with overheating but the problem only occurs when switching to the dedicated graphics... do you think I'll have to send it in for a repair?