Join now - be part of our community!

AR51SU HDMI to LCD - no sound

profile.country.en_IE.title
dazagro19
Visitor

AR51SU HDMI to LCD - no sound

Hi guys, i did a forum search but found no solution,
I bought a 42" Philips LCD TV Full HD, and connected my laptop to it with HDMI cable. I got a video on tv but no sound! Hdmi should carry sound as well, what am i doing wrong?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you switched your sound output from analogue speakers to digital HDMI/SPDIF?

Start -> Control Panel -> Audio

Make sure HDMI/SPDIF is set as your default.

:thinking:

dazagro19
Visitor

Yes I have, it actually schwitches itself automatically after connecting tv to laptop to Digital Output Device (HDMI) and i can see the small visualization bar next to it working....
SPDIF and Speakers are then deactivated.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Make sure your HDMI is pluged in and everything is switched on. In Windows media center go into tasks>settings>general>windows media setup>set up your speakers>set it to HDMI/HDCP output and voila.

dazagro19
Visitor

thanks for reply but there is no option HDMI!

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Media center is not your default. All you should have to do is connect the cable and get picture coming through the TV, and then right click on your sound settings in the bottom right, next to your clock. Click on "Playback Devices" you should have an option for "SPDIF Interface".
Single left-click on it and underneath next to properties click on "Set Default".
Now close your Youtube, or browser, or music program or anything active that sends out sound and restart your youtube or whatever and you'll get sound through your TV

dazagro19
Visitor

hi guys, thanks for everything but still no sound on tv:-(
just wondering, could it be a hdmi cable? i got the cheapest one for about 15€...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi marino,

See if you can borrow an up-to-date, good quality cable and see if it works.

If not, check that the TV HDMI socket is set to receive PCM sound and if it still doesn't work, give Sony a ring here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/contacts/contacts.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&tp=vaio&cc=en_IE&cm=phone

There is a fix for the AR31S when connecting to a 1.3 HDMI TV - Sony Support may have a solution.

:wink:

dazagro19
Visitor

I didnt try hdmi update for ar21 - fortunately SigmaTel Audio Driver 6.10.5614.0 appeared on downloads site on 18/12 what solved my problem!!!