Join now - be part of our community!

Are there any adverse effects on installing 3 HDD on an XL 301

h4
Visitor

Are there any adverse effects on installing 3 HDD on an XL 301

I was about to order an 80gig hdd from dabs for my XL 301. Before i do has anyone had any overheating problems when using all three bays, i have currently got the standard 250gig,, a 2nd 500gig and was looking to install an 80gig for the OS, but i have heard that some people might have been having some problems and maybe i need to put another fan or something in?. Eventually i was hopin to take one of the larger ones out (into a usb caddy) and stick in a TB (or 2!) Maybe i should mention i have got my GPU is the 8500!

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

After having my internal HDD die recently, i'm learning to keep my recordings to a minimum and archive off the stuff i want to keep onto DVD. Bit off topic, but i love Video Redo Plus for helping to top/tail and remove ads from TV recordings, then it's Nero Vision 8 used to perform the archiving, easy-peasy.

Perhaps you need a NAS network attached storage solution to cope with all your storage requirements? Is is ripped DVDs taking up all the room???

From what you're saying you can't afford to swap a 250Gb drive for a larger unit? I hear ya, credit crunch and all that! 😞

otherwise, encourage the wife or girlfriend to stop recording dross TV! 😉

h4
Visitor

i give up, tried to reply 3 times now, keep gettin timed out or something...

hey chalky white
gonna make this short cos i cant do it 4 the 3rd time

my 500g internal hdd is full of multimedia,etc mostly avi's , dont use dual tuners, though i'm looking at the dragon cam. i'm a bit OCD so i dont want my OS on the same drive as my multimedia so i dont want to waste the 180g on my 250g hdd with my OS, so i'm thinking of buying an 80g hdd, transfer my OS using Acronis and viola i have a 250g free. TBH i dont think i need much more just yet.

h4
Visitor

bump :thinking:
anyone have three hard drives in there xl301??

DanKeogh
Visitor

:laughing: :laughing: I have from as soon as I got my XL301 I added 2 more drives, first they were 2 x samsung 500gb then later I replaced them with 1 x Hitachi 1Tb drives I have never had an issue with any of the drives and the XL301 worked with no problem.

h4
Visitor

thanks

dankeogh,

i bought my hdd soon after the original post, and have had no problems since.

on a separate note one of my hdd seems to eminate a soft 'whirring' sound all the time. Anyways around this???

h