Join now - be part of our community!

Atheros AR928X Wireless Adapter

profile.country.en_IN.title
siddus
Visitor

Atheros AR928X Wireless Adapter

Hi, my Sony Viao model VGN-NW20EF/S is about a year old now. It has never given me the slightest of trouble so far. That was until today. I was getting multiple BSODs on my Windows 7 Home OS and on checking the memory dump, I found that the wireless adapter drivers were causing the issue.

I updated my drivers from 2.0.0.X to version 8.0.0.171 from the Viao Drivers site. Following that my wireless card has simply stopped working. The driver has installed properly and device manager says that there are no issues with the hardware. Also, I don't see any exclamation marks in device manager. The LAN card works perfectly.

However, the wireless card just sits there without detecting any networks. Its as good as switched off. I have no clue what to do now. Have scoured the web for 4 days in a row but no luck. I got an exam coming up and this situation has left me completely helpless.

Will be glad if someone can drop me a lifeline!

Thanks.

Sid.

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sid,

If you are desperate it may be worth investing in a Wireless ExpressCard as a short term fix while you sort out the onboard wireless card.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-N1-Wireless-Express-Card/dp/B000KH2M7C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310897...

I don't have a magic solution but I assume you have already tried the following: -

1. Check that the physical WiiFi switch on the front of your Vaio is turned on.

2. Check that you have updated the Vaio Smart Network driver to Ver 3.3.1.08110

3. Check in the Vaio Smart Network window that the software switch is toggled to 'on' by selecting 2.4GHz Wireless LAN and checking that the  wireless light is lit.

4. Try reinstalling the original driver but if everything above has failed, I would guess there may be a hardware or wiring issue needing investigation.  Are you still within the warranty period?

:thinking:

profile.country.en_IN.title
siddus
Visitor

Hi Blencogo, thanks for your help. I have tried all of the above but nothing seems to work. I am able to access the internet thankfully because the LAN card is OK but its very inconvenient. The Smart Network software is the same version mentioned in your post and it shows the right settings when the WiFi is switched on. I also see a gree light when the card is switched on but the taskbar just shows the following no matter whether WiFi is on or off

I suspect its a software issue because the card was working all fine till yesterday night when I switched off the laptop to install a windows update. I switch is on in the morning and boom BSOD and dump saying Wireless card drivers causing the issue. Updated to latest drivers...and good by WiFi! Its really frustrating because my warranty just expired a month back and I had not faced a single problem. Its as if the hardware was programmed to fail after warranty expiry!

Look forward to some more inputs. Will be very greatful. Thanks for your time and help. Appreciate it very much.

Best,

Sid.

Message was edited by: siddus

Message was edited by: siddus Attaches screenshot