Join now - be part of our community!

ATRAC3 & ATRAC3plus?

sarpal
Visitor

ATRAC3 & ATRAC3plus?

Hi, first post!
Just got my vaio pocket - awsome! What is the difference between ATRAC3 & ATRAC3plus? Which shoud I use? The default is ATRAC3 but I get the impression that 'plus' is preferable, is this true?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Nope,

Atrac3+ has only a higher compression, the quality isn't better.
It's better you use Atrac3 with 132kBit/s.

Atrac3+ with 256kBit/s is waste.

But you can compare both Codecs with the Sound from a good Tape Deck. Without rush but with acoustic artifacts.

MadarbWoT
Visitor

its basicly all the same....
actually when sony forces you to use atrac it doesnt make much of a difference!

sarpal
Visitor

Thanks both for the prompt replies. I'll just leave it at the default

MadarbWoT
Visitor

by all means do not usebitrate at 48kbps if that is the default...

it is totally crap,you wont hear anything,as it is programmed to just compress higly and not provide good quality

seb21__
Visitor

Yeah, and never forget :

132kBit/s isn't CD quality. Atrac3 is a lossy Codec and CD quality is physically impossible with Atrac3. (the same with all other lossy Codecs)

DiabloVaio
Visitor

The point in having a DAP (for example VP) with a huge HDD (for example 40GB), is that you can have bigger/more files on your device.
So, if I wanted to use 48 Kbps, I would buy a 512MB flash player instead, cheaper and more portable!
BUT I WANT QUALITY! There are lots of DAPs out there supporting lossless codecs. I know for example OGG files will be huge (compare to MP3 or ATRAC) but who cares when I have 40 GB to waste? I'm really looking forward to a firmware upgrade which enables lossless codecs! Thanks god that there are open source codecs out there! C'mon SONY, stop dissappointing us!
VIVA OPEN SOURCE

seb21__
Visitor

Mmh, it gives some Players they support Ogg-files but not the VP.
But I think MPC is a good alternative for a lossless Codec. (If you have not enough GB, like me too). But MPC has no hardware support.

(LOL, that Avatar, remember on a VAIOmaster)

DiabloVaio
Visitor

Mmh, it gives some Players they support Ogg-files but not the VP.
But I think MPC is a good alternative for a lossless Codec. (If you have not enough GB, like me too). But MPC has no hardware support.

(LOL, that Avatar remembered me on a VAIOmaster)

What I meant was actually I really like my VP playing lossless music! and because OGG is open source, it would be much easier to write a firmware for that!

seb21__
Visitor

Yep, I totally agree.
But I don't understand why Sony is so narrow-minded.(Borniert in german, don't know wheter this is the correct translation)