Join now - be part of our community!

audio input via line in on desktop ! pvc rxm21

WolfgangDoerner
Visitor

audio input via line in on desktop ! pvc rxm21

hi there!
I want to copy music from analog sources - cassette tape deck, vinyl player - onto myHD and to convert it to digital files for further processing to DVD backup, for example.

My PVC RXM21 actually does have a "line in" thing on the inbuilt soundcard which is accessible from the outside.
Please do clearly understand this fact. Eventually, there are other Vaio Destop machines without a "line in" but my desktop does have it. It is the third plugin thing in a row of "mic", "headphones", and "line in" just below USB and the network plugins.
Very unfortunately, the pdf manual on the computer does not state anything about the line in.

Q1: if not for analog entry, what is this " line in" thing for?
Q2: (optimistic) If "line in" is a possibility to transfer analog audio data via some special cable from cassette tape deck to the (equals: my RXM21 ! ) PC,
how can I take a record from it? I do have SonicStage 1.5,
but cannot find the " line in" as a selectable data source (ok - I do know that data need to be converterd somehow from analog to digital in between...)
Q3: If not with software supplied with the Vaio (remember: it's the RXM21),
which software may be recommendable for the task?

Any ideas?

Best regards,
WD

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi,

You're right, "line in" is for taking analogue audio into the PC. Using something like Cool Edit by Syntrillium you can record LPs, tapes and 78s if needed. All you have to do is click on the volume knob in the system tray and go to the menu and go to recording mixer. There, put a check in the line in, you can now use the socket. You will need a 3.5mm stereo jack > phono pair.