Join now - be part of our community!

AV Instant Mode does not work

SirCaledor
Visitor

AV Instant Mode does not work

Hi,

I bought a Vaio-FZ11M today and everything is working perfectly with one exception: I can't get the cool AV instant mode to work. Whenever I click on the AV Mode button while my notebook is off, it just starts Windows Vista and once it's loaded a bar appears at the top of the screen that lets me start the DVD, go into the Media Center or whatever I've specified in the instant mode options. How can do I get into the cool media menu without having to boot my PC (which is the point of the AV mode anyway I think)?

Best,
Oliver

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Oliver and welcome.

I think this is going to be bad news! The European FZ Models do not have the 'Intervideo InstantON' feature installed. As you have discovered, the AV Mode is simply a way of selecting which media player you wish to use from within Windows.

In Europe only the TX, TZ and CR models have the 'Intervideo InstantON' feature that allows the Vaio to be used as a player without booting into Windows.

I think the USA FZ Vaios do have it installed - which has probably caused some confusion!

:slight_frown:

SirCaledor
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

That's a bummer but thanks for clearing it up! :slight_smile: I didn't buy my laptop for that feature alone of course but it still would've been nice...

I got another question: How long is the battery life of the FZ series supposed to be? When I select the "Optimized for VAIO" energy setting in Vista and have 100% battery life when I start watching a DVD with Power DVD 7, after 1 hour it's at 25%...is that normal? I was expecting a longer battery life. Did any other FZ users have had similiar experiences?

Best,
SirCaledor

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi SirCaledor

I found these battery life times mentioned on a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ11M User Review where they tested the FZ11M's battery with regard to the basic uses and settings, not sure how accurate they are though..

Battery Runtime:

Battery runtime
Idle, min. brightness, no WLAN: 145 minutes
Full-load, max brightness, WLAN: 100 minutes
Internet surfing, adapted brightness, WLAN: minutes
DVD, max brightness, no WLAN: 110 minutes

Internet + word processing
Mode: Balanced, WLAN on

Full load (with the help of BatteryEaterPRO)
Mode: High performance, WLAN on

DVD playback
Mode: High performance, WLAN off