Join now - be part of our community!

BIOS PASSWORD RESET

gbalex19
New

BIOS PASSWORD RESET

Hi all In deep frustration I have finally come here to seek the answer to why the ******HELL sony insist on putting a BIOS PW on their machines with no clue or prompt for users on how to access it? My system (details below) wont boot to windows, and I cant check the BIOS settings because some idiot has put a pw on the system that I the user have no ***** clue about....

I have a PCG-71311M, yes the model is correct but not found in the list of laptops SONY produce, WHY?????

also from bezel on screen - VPCEB3F4E, again why so many codes and variants on the same ***** laptop????

Q, to which I really would appreciate an answer is: How do I disable the password on BIOS?

Can somebody please help me resolve this issue as it's driving me NUTS!!!

Thank you

G

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi gbalex19,

VPCEB3F4E is the correct product name, PCG-71311M is a chassis number that can relate to several models – this often causes confusion!

There are various scenarios for recovering from a forgotten BIOS password. The following is the guidance from Sony support:

In order to prevent unauthorized access to your VAIO, you can set a BIOS password.
If a BIOS password is typed wrongly 3 times, your VAIO is locked from access, and assistance from VAIO Support is required to unlock the VAIO.
OPTION 1: your display shows a 16-digit lock code, and asks for a Onetime Password.
If you think this happened due a typing error and you want to try again, shut down the VAIO by holding the power button for 5 seconds and reboot.
In case you cannot retrieve the BIOS password, please go through following steps:
1.    Before we are able to assist, you need to make sure your VAIO is registered correctly.
2.    If this happens outside office hours, we recommend that you just shut down the VAIO until the morning.
3.    When you are ready to contact VAIO Support regarding your issue, boot your VAIO and type a wrong password a few times until you get to the screen which asks for a Onetime Password.
4.    Contact VAIO Support by phone
5.    The agent will verify your contact details. An identity check may be required. Then your Onetime code will be escalated internally for a bypass password.
6.    IMPORTANT: As of now, leave the VAIO switched ON until you receive the Onetime Password.
7.    Within a short timeframe, you will receive a callback from an agent with the Onetime Password, so that you can gain access to your system again.

OPTION 2: your display states that the VAIO is locked, and shows a 4-digit code and asks for a bypass code.
The same procedure as above applies. The code will only be 4 digits, and it is not referred to as Onetime Password.

OPTION 3: your display states the VAIO is locked and asks for a bypass code.
The same procedure as above applies, but you will only need the Serial Number of your VAIO. Your VAIO does not need to be switched on during the escalation.

OPTION 4: a few of the older VAIO models cannot be unlocked over the phone.
Such models need to be unlocked in one of the VAIO Authorized Repair Centres. Please contact VAIO Support for more details.
Hopefully one of these options will apply in your case.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gbalex19
New

Thanks so far, in this case there is no user pw set but the system is still locking me out. So I guess it's a call to support, can you give me a contact number for them please in the UK?

Thanks

G

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi gbalex19,

Depending on whether your Vaio is in or out of warranty and other factors there are a range of contact numbers., Again this is from the support site:

Registration:To enable us to provide you with the level of support you would expect from SONY, we ask you to register your VAIO.If you want to register online, please click the registration button.

If you want to register with our registration team, please call the number below
0870 240 2410
(Fixed: 0.08£/min)

Please note that you will be asked for the serial number and for the date of purchase of your SONY VAIO.
Click here if you need help retrieving the serial number.

Help & Support Once your SONY VAIO has been registered, we can offer you a range of ways to get in touch with SONY VAIO-LINK.If your SONY VAIO is in warranty, please call
0870 240 2408

If your SONY VAIO is out of warranty, please call
0905 0310006
(Fixed: 0.35£/min)

If you purchased your SONY VAIO in a non-European country, please call
0905 0310006
(Fixed: 0.35£/min)

If your SONY VAIO is covered by a VGPE-VPPS onsite repair warranty, please call
0870 8500976

Note that you will need to enter your Warranty Pack Number (9 or 11 digit number starting by ‘4’) to access the VPPS premium support line. You will find this Warranty Pack Number on the sticker on the cover of your VPPS booklet.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
gbalex19
New

Ive tried every number on there and I cant get through because I dont have a case or other number that allows me through the system. 

What is it with this company that makes them so damned hard to get hold of?

G

gbalex19
New

I cant find anything like the A / B serial no's on my devicve it's less than 3 years old. Why is it so difficult to achieve anything with this company?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You should find the serial number on a sticker on the underside of the notebook. However I have requested that support contact you. Can you please make sure that your profile details are correct and up to date and that you let us know if and when a call is received?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat