Join now - be part of our community!

Bios update

zgh
Visitor

Bios update

I tried to update Bios and download the Bios file (Version: W2k06k0). it is a rom file. how to install it?
zgh

7 REPLIES 7
TygerTyger
Visitor

The instructions should have been on the download page? Or with the file. In all honesty unless you have a really really urgent need to install it then avoid it wherever possible. It can do some nasty damage for almost no overall gain.

zgh
Visitor

you are right, I got error message saying "the DMI string is too large" while run the phlash2. is that mean the machine is not allowed to be upgraded?
zgh

TygerTyger
Visitor

I don't know what that means, but don't under any circumstances try again. If a BIOS update goes wrong then large parts of your computer will be broken forever. Why must you update?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Tyger's right, DO NOT flash the BIOS again, it could be drastic

zgh
Visitor

I upgraded hard disk from 6.49G to 40G and found the old Bios only support up to 8G disk. I downloaded two bios files: phlash2.exe and w2k06k0.rom. while run the phlash2, it gives me the error message ".. the DMI string is too large". Even the bios only recognise 8G hard disk, the windows 2000 is recognise the new 40G disk.
Two things made me tried to flash the bios:
1. in the bios, it shows 8G hard disk (it should be 40G)
2. the disk indicator is always lightened.
though the machine works ok with new 4G disk.
(forgot telling you, it is a very old vaio, PCG-F190 vaio. could be first generation of vaio).
well, I could put the original 6.49G disk back and use the 40G disk via USB.
zgh

TygerTyger
Visitor

Well I'm not expert here so someone will have to help me out, but my instint tells me that if Windows recognises the hard drive properly then that's what counts, and I would simply leave the BIOS as it is. The light might be annoying but you could always stick something over it.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think this drive is not suitable personally.