Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Power Management issue in S2XP

mig_vaio
Visitor

VAIO Power Management issue in S2XP

I hope somebody will be able to help me on this, as e-support is not working at all.

I bought a couple of weeks ago a S2XP, and overall I am very happy with it.

In the last week, my "VAIO Power Management" tab placed in the "Power Option Properties" dissapeared. "VAIO Power Management Viewer" refuse to work because "VAIO Power Management" is not activated. It looks like this feature have been uninstalled in any way from the PC.

It's weird as I did not perform any uninstallation of any software. Do you know any way of fixing/reinstalling it? I didn't try with the "VAIO Recovery Tool" as I do not want to loose my data in C:

Many thanks for your help.

27 REPLIES 27
Akanksha
Visitor

system restore
start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore

mig_vaio
Visitor

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile: but system restore is not an option as I could loose some of my recent work/installations/settings, and I have had a hard job in the past week configuring the laptop in the way I want it.

Any other suggestions? :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

OK, try visiting VAIO-Link and downloading firstly Sony Shared Libraries then downloading and installing Sony Utilities which should cure the problem.

You can find these utilities locally as well, in C:\DRIVERS - look for UTILS.EXE and run it.

mig_vaio
Visitor

Thanks again :wink: but I already tried to reinstall the "Sony Utilities". Tried again, no luck. Maybe the missing part is the "Sony Shared Libraries", I've heard about it in other forums, but I couldn't find them in Vaio-Link, C:\Drivers folder, system restore DVDs, etc. so I cannot reinstall it.

Does anybody know where to obtain those "Sony Shared Libraries" for a Vaio S Series Laptop?

I'm starting to be desperate :cry: I always use the laptop with batteries, and they're drained quickly because I cannot adjust power management settings. Any idea will be appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

See http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/select/select.asp?l=en&m=1736
for details.

Try installing the Original Utilities Package first, this is labelled as an "All-In-One" installer so it should include the VAIO Power Management software.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Do you have Sony Notebook Setup installed?

mig_vaio
Visitor

See http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/select/select.asp?l=en&m=1736
for details.

Try installing the Original Utilities Package first, this is labelled as an "All-In-One" installer so it should include the VAIO Power Management software.

Yes, that's what I previously downloaded from that page & installed it with no luck. It's really weird :slight_frown:

mig_vaio
Visitor

Do you have Sony Notebook Setup installed?

Yes, installed and working well. Everything seems to work properly with no missed stuff. It's just the "VAIO Power Management" tab in the "Power Options Properties" what appears to be missing. The problem should be in the driver or control panel component that implements it (I guess)

I really appreciate your help, you've been very kind :slight_smile: I will keep trying to find information on this issue.

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

mig_vaio
Visitor

I've just found a reference to a process in the windows registry that points to:

C:\Program Files\sony\vaio power management\SPMPanel.dll

I guess from its name that this DLL should have the libraries for the sony power management panel that is missing. This file don't appear in my hard disk :smileyconfused:. This must be causing the problem. But... what piece of sony software/driver update contains it? I tried to reinstall every single one that I found. Arrrgggh! :cry: