Join now - be part of our community!

Blue Vaio Light Turns Off and Beeps During Program

rikki438
Visitor

Blue Vaio Light Turns Off and Beeps During Program

:cry: Hi there I was wondering if anyone can help me I have been running my Sony Vaio 2800XP Athlon desktop fine now for about 5 months and am very happy with it...

However whilst running Championship Manager 03/04 the computer has started to beep and the blue vaio light turns on and off - the beep is coming from the computer hardware itself but I am totally unsure why this is - it only happens during running CM 03/04 - does anyone know why this is....?

Any help be greatly appreciated - what does this beep actually mean and when the light goes off - is it dangerous as I dont want to play CM 03/04 when this happens - it never happens when any other program is running

Rick

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Rick,

Sounds like CM might be using the internal speaker (before soundcards were around).

Not much can be done unless there is a patch.

rikki438
Visitor

Thanks Kee-Lo

Yes I know but the light - you know the Blue Sony Vaio Light on the front of the Desktop - its turning OFF.... which is worrying me a lot...

Are you sure there isnt another sort of problem that can be attributed to this... like there is actually something WRONG with the hardware... you are pretty sure that if I play CM 03/04 which is like one of the most popular games out Im not going to damage the computer? Its strange behaviour I know but its seeing the light go on and off which is bothering me....

Thanks for the help.....

Id like it if someone can tell me more specifially if this means anything dangerous - e.g. light going on asnd off or beep? sorry if I sound not so great on PC as I am novice with computers....

Rick

kee-lo_

Rick

You're not the only one to have this issue, someone else had it with Sim City, so my thoughts might be it's a programming thing. It's a tough call, and I wouldn't like to say it's a fault or it's not.

Snipes
Visitor

The problem arises in that some software (particularly old stuff) likes
to beep at you when it does not understand a command by calling the
system beep command rather than playing you a little wav through the
sound card. This can drive you and your friends/family/workmates/boss
totally nuts.
Try this link, Hope it helps, http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

Grohni
Visitor

Nope guys. this is incorrect.

I've been having the same issue with my PCV RX 514 (CE).

Not only does the mainboard issue a sound signal which, yes, comes from down below, i.e. not via the sound card. But the blue power on lamp blinks and the orange warning lamp goes on. At the same time the processor slows down considerably.

Had this issue with almost any application that uses a lot of processing power (i.e. mainly games).

Issue gets worse when temperature rises.

I figure this is a processor temperature issue - something Athlons have gotten a nasty reputation for I hear.

Definitely not program specific!
Cheers.

mathrobe
Visitor

hi .. i also have a pcv rx514 and am having the same problem.
i got in touch with the support at sony uk, this is the answer that they gave me...

the beeps and flashes normally mean that there is a component in my machine that is not rightly plugged or not plugged at all, or that the settings within computer bios are not the correct ones.

please reboot your pc and push directly the F2 key repeatedly to access the bios .once you are in the bios push the F5 key, then push enter, then push F10 and push enter.
then check to see if the problem remains
if it does check whether the memory is correctly plugged.

i followed this advice but i still have the problem and i am totally
bewildered at what could be causing the problem. i might have a look on the AMD website to see if they have any info on it
good luck i hope you might be able to sort out the problem and post it here

:slight_frown:

Grohni
Visitor

did a bit of digging around and finally found that this is (at least in my case) poor build quality of the desktop pc.

As the heat extractor fan of the processor on the motherboard is next to the general extractor fan (approx. 1 inch apart) the processor extractor fan can clutter up with dust and then slow down.

This is what happened in my box.

Here's the solution which worked for me. - I can't guarantee, that this works for you and plse consult the manual on how to do it - or otherwise bring in to service:

0 Pull out power cord
1 Open box
2 unsrew on single screw that holds the fan block in place (this is rather neatly done I have to admit)
3 Unlock Fan component (silvery handle) and pull out
4 Blow dust out of both fans (watch out, you might get dirty)
5 Put everything back into place

Hope that helps.

reaper
Visitor

hi everyone i dont have a problem with the blue light
but the orange light and the crackle sound it makes

i installed new hard ware and now the little crackle sound which happens when you load stuff up ect it is now in a different tone a little louder than before

i was just woundering what actaully makes the crackle sound
AND if it is anything to worry about

regards ben

kee-lo_

Isn't that the hard disk?
Normally the flashing orange light is to show hdd activity.