Join now - be part of our community!

C2S/G MEMORY PERMANENTLY RUNS AT 75% OR HIGHER

nick.workman
Visitor

C2S/G MEMORY PERMANENTLY RUNS AT 75% OR HIGHER

Hello everyone.

I have a Sony C2S/G running Vista and 1GB Memory.
I have a CPU and Memory meter on the Windows Vista sidebar.
The Memory meter is always running at 75% or higher, I have seen it below on the odd occasion but not very often.
Is this normal?
Is it Vista demanding such high usage?
Many Thanks in advance.
Nick

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Nick and welcome to Club Vaio.

Yes, It's normal.

My Vaio with 2GB RAM installed always shows about 43% of the memory in use with Vista.

1GB is not really enough memory to run Vista and other applications because Vista reserves large amounts of memory - most people report a significant performance increase by using 2GB of RAM.

:wink:

nick.workman
Visitor

Hi there
Thanks for the reply.
I am using a 1gb sony microvault tiny as readyboost, and that doesnt really make much difference.
Should there be a significant difference using this method?
Nick

Hi Nick and welcome to Club Vaio.

Yes, It's normal.

My Vaio with 2GB RAM installed always shows about 43% of the memory in use with Vista.

1GB is not really enough memory to run Vista and other applications because Vista reserves large amounts of memory - most people report a significant performance increase by using 2GB of RAM.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Nick,

I think Readyboost is a bit of a marketing concept!! (Sounds good but doesn't really do anything).

As far as I know, Vista will only actually use the Flash Media instead of writing to a Pagefile on your hard disc. This will only happen if all of your 1024MB of RAM has been used - which is unlikely. It will have no effect unless you have used all memory during the boot process.

Also, it assumes the Flash Drive is faster than your disc drive. This may well be the case for small files but it is doubtful for larger files.

I think it is designed to be able to run Vista on old hardware with limited, non-upgradable memory - something like a PC with 256MB or 512MB maximum memory and a slow old hard disc.

Bit of a gimmick really.

:thinking: