Join now - be part of our community!

Can my laptop Sony vaio VGN-N11H/W be upgraded to windows 7??

profile.country.en_IE.title
orlaith21
Visitor

Can my laptop Sony vaio VGN-N11H/W be upgraded to windows 7??

Hi there,

I am thinking of upgrading my laptop Sony vaio VGN-N11H/W to the new windows 7. However i've asked ppl about this and it seems my laptop doesn't have enough RAM space. I've checked it and it is only showing 0.99 RAM. So my question is, can this be changed on my laptop and if so where in Ireland supplies Sony recommended RAM. I dont know alot of this sort of thing about Laptops so i am very stuck on where to turn to next.
Hope you can help.

Many thanks.

Orla. :slight_smile:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Orla and welcome.

The first thing to do is run the Winows 7 Upgrade Advisor. This will give information on any incompatible hardware (I doubt that there will be any) and memory requirements.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx

In my opinion you should have at least 2 GB of memory (preferably 4 GB).

Your model will support (not to exceed Sony’s recommended maximum RAM) 2 GB – 1 GB per slot.

I suggest that you try Crucial for supply of the RAM.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VGN-N11H

You may need to replace both modules as you possibly have 2 x 512MB models at present.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_IE.title
orlaith21
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help. I have found where a place to get the ram in ireland and have a work collegue who will insert it for me.

I tried the window's 7 compatibile thing and seems my laptop will be ok for it just some of my programs may have trouble working in it, like my norton go-back and symstac.

I have 1 more question for you. When i start up my laptop, picture package runs in the back ground. I've been told to go to the control panel, admin tools and settings and to find it in the list to stop it but its not there. Do you know how to stop this from running automatically?

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi orlaith21,

I suggest that you have a look at the Startup tab in System Configuration.

Click Start and then type msconfig into the search dialogue box – then click on that name in the programs listing (in the box above the search dialogue).

Click on the Startup tab and look for ‘picture package’ or similar, uncheck it (left hand tick box) and click apply.

If you cannot find it there then it may possibly launched from Scheduled Tasks – come back for further guidance...

EDIT: A Google suggest that Residence.exe is the file that launches this program at Startup.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat