Join now - be part of our community!

Can you save your win7 OS prior to using Win 8?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
635csi
New

Can you save your win7 OS prior to using Win 8?

I took up the offer of Windows 8 professional for $14 when I bought my Sony Viao. Now having had time to read all the comments and reviews of Win 8, it seems that the new OS is fine for tablets but a waste of time for serious work on a laptop, mainly because of the lack of a touch screen.  Even with a touch screen, most programs / aps run in full screen so you have problems copying and pasting. It would be nice to try the new os, but not unless there is a path back to Windows 7 in case I find that I cannot use it.

How do you back up your OS and hidden partition on a Viao.

Message was edited by: 635csi

Typo

Message was edited by: 635csi

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi 635csi,

Your Vaio should have a hidden HDD recovery partition which should allow you to return to the pre-installed OS but to be on the safe side make sure you have created a set of recovery discs..:smileywink:

This is not model specific..

To recover from the recovery area

On models with the ASSIST button

1 Press the ASSIST button while your computer is off to launch VAIO Care Rescue.

If the display language selection window appears, select your desired language and click OK.

2 Click Start recovery wizard.

To perform the custom recovery, select Tools and click Start advanced recovery wizard.

3 Follow the on-screen instructions.

On models without the ASSIST button

1 Turn on your computer and press the F10 key several times before the VAIO logo screen disappears.

If the Edit Boot Options window is displayed, press the Enter key.

If the display language selection window appears, select your desired language and click OK.

2 Select Start recovery wizard.

To perform the custom recovery, select Tools and click Start advanced recovery wizard.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi 635csi,

Your Vaio should have a hidden HDD recovery partition which should allow you to return to the pre-installed OS but to be on the safe side make sure you have created a set of recovery discs..:smileywink:

This is not model specific..

To recover from the recovery area

On models with the ASSIST button

1 Press the ASSIST button while your computer is off to launch VAIO Care Rescue.

2 Click Start recovery wizard.

On models without the ASSIST button

1 Turn on your computer and press the F10 key several times before the VAIO logo screen disappears.

If the Edit Boot Options window is displayed, press the Enter key.

2 Select Start recovery wizard.