Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot create Recovery Discs

Larrina
Visitor

Cannot create Recovery Discs

When the recovery disc creation process reaches the point when it is preparing the media a pop-up reports that a disc cannot be created.
The option chosen is 3 discs and I am using Sony DVD-R 4.7Mb discs.
The same report has been experienced with both formatted and unformatted discs.
What am I doing wrong?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Larrina and welcome.

You have not stated your Vaio model but some models do have a VAIO Recovery Center Update available for download that addresses such issues.

To check whether your machine has an available update click on the Support tab at the top of this page and select Drivers and Updates. Sign in with your model and select Updates.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Larrina
Visitor

Thanks for the response.
My model is a VGN-FW41E.
The support page displayed this, presumably because I had logged on previously(?)
I looked through the updates available but could not find one that looked at all relevant.
I am very unfamiliar with the Vista OS.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Larrina,

The following is from the Support site:

You are unable to create the recovery discs for your VAIO
The process hangs or you receive an error during disc burning

1. Make sure you install the latest updates for your model.
2. If the problem persists, back up your data and perform a system recovery (using F10 recovery option), and then try to burn your recovery discs on a clean recovered VAIO system before you install any 3rd-party software or update.
3. Please contact VAIO Customer Support if the problem remains unsolved.

A System recovery seems a bit extreme until you have tried a different brand of media - Verbatim have always worked for me...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Larrina
Visitor

Very pragmatic advice.
I tried the Sony(!) discs again and got the same failure.
Then I tried the only alternative in the cupboard, a set of imation DVD-RW discs and it worked a treat.
I must now seal them up to make certain that they are not written over and then store them in the expectation that they will never be needed.
Thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome Larrina and I'm pleased that your problem is sorted. :slight_smile:

More pragmatic advice - make a second set of recovery disks (preferably a different brand of media again), just in case....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat