Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot run chkdsk

profile.country.en_GB.title
brittlejester
Explorer

Cannot run chkdsk

Hi,
I have a new Vaio RC204 desktop. When Windows opens it tells me to run chkdsk as I have some corrupt files. When I try and run it (ckdsk /f ) I get the message with words to the effect that I cannot run it now, but would I like to when windows restarts? so I enter Y . But when I re-start the computer it "ignores" the command and goes straight into Windows again.( I have never had this problem with my Vaio laptop). Of course, because I cannot run chkdsk, I cannot run defrag either.
I have only had the computer a few weeks, i don't fancy having to re-install windows already!
Can someone please help?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi Brittlejester.

Have you tried it in Safe Mode?

Have al look Here to see if this helps.

brittlejester
Explorer

Hi Jumpsuit
I looked at that link, ( thank you) the symptoms on my computer are identical But I see you have to subscribe to get the answer ( good or bad! ) by coincidence I also use spyware doctor, but it never gives me any trouble on my laptop .Actually I like Spware doctor, It finds things ad aware and spybot misses, but I am willing to uninstall it if it allows me to use chkdsk and defrag, although it has never interfered with my system before.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again, I didn't have to subscribe....I'll try and send you the responses...

"Please run chkdsk /f." from recovery console cmd prompt
Is the hdd out of space?
try that for now anyway.

Also:
You can go to run,type:cmd In cmd type:CHKDSK C: This is in a "read-only"
mode,no repairs.Then type:CHKDSK C: /F /REVERT This issues a run in default
setting.
also:

and putting a check in the bottom box, 'Scan for and attempt to repair bad sectors' and letting that run in Windows. When it completes, I put a check in both boxes and reboot.
You can also,boot to xp cd,recovery,press enter key for password,at cmd
screen type:CHKDSK C: /p Thats right /p,or type:CHKDSK C: /R /R for repair,
when thru type:EXIT At any cmd screen to exit.

thanks for your reply. I am currently booted up with an XP cd, and am in the recovery console as administrator. I am in the c:\windows directory. When I try to run chkdsk /f, i get a message the command is not recogonized. Do I need to go to the system32 directory?

Author Comment

OK, i just ran chkdsk with no switches and it ran. It says it found one or more errors on the volume. It won't let me run it with switches-says the command is not recogonized. Anyway, I will reboot and see if that fixed it.

Plenty of room on the drive20525696 allocation units available.

Yeah!! It is defragging now! Thank you very much for your help.
Have 500 points."

(Source: Experts Exchange.) :slight_smile:

robpaxton
Explorer

See this page

brittlejester
Explorer

Hello,
Thanks all your advice, I went into safe mode and it ran :slight_smile:
Just finished de-fragging too.