Join now - be part of our community!

Screen and Noise Issue

TiraOfOdin
Visitor

Screen and Noise Issue

Hello all,

I have a Sony VAIO Laptop - model: PCG-GRT915M which is now out of warranty.

Lately I have been experiencing two problems with the laptop, they weren't causing a huge problem but today the problem escalated.

Firstly with overheating:
The fan is very noisy, pretty much as soon as I turn the unit on the fan's noise increases and increases. It gets so noisy all you can hear is the laptop - it gets loud to the level of annoying people around me.

I've even gotten really evil looks when having the laptop in public places. I dare not take it into somewhere like a library as that would be suicide :grin:

It's never been the quietest of laptops, but it just seems to be getting worse and worse. Also the heat it kicks out is kinda worrying, even when idle.

If I try to do anything intensive, like play MMORPGs like WoW or FFXI then it will cut out.

Is this a problem with VAIO notebooks... I had a VAIO before this laptop and it was really noisy too and had the same problem, eventually I gave the laptop to my brother and bought this one.

Any ideas on how to fix this problem as it is kinda annoying.

The Display Problem
I saw a thread about something similar in the forums (~page 30). A few weeks ago the screen would flicker, not much just a slight flicker and then it would be fine, normally on startup.

I didn't think too much of it until today. My girlfriend was browsing amazon and the screen went like a gray colour. You could see the screen but it was really dim, as if you had turned the contrast right down.

First thought was to restart the laptop. The screen came on properly for about 2 seconds, flickered and then went really dim.

I thought there might be a loose wire, so I closed the laptop and opened it again, the screen flickered on and off again.

I tried this (close the lid and opened it) a couple of times, each time the screen would come on properly and then flicker off again.

Note when I say off, it's on just really faint.

Now, you know the front of the laptop, where the screens clips touch the two pads, I pressed them down gently and, on and flicker off.

Tried this a couple of times, if I press gently on the two pads where the screens clips latch onto gently the screen goes right off, comes on and goes off again.

Now this is a stab in the dark... could something like some dust be under there making the laptop think the screen is down?

The screen started working about about 10 minutes ago, I don't dare close the lid in case it messes the screen up again.

So, two issues... my warranty is out now so I'm sure getting Sony to look will cost a lot. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix these two problems. Obviously the screen is the most serious of the problems :slight_smile:

0 REPLIES 0