Join now - be part of our community!

Cant broadcast webcam properly on my Sony Vaio VGN-AR41L

DavidWhincup
Visitor

Cant broadcast webcam properly on my Sony Vaio VGN-AR41L

As the title says. I am having difficulty broadcasting my webcam properly on my new VGN-AR1L Notebook. The notebook comes with an inbuilt cam on the top of the notebook but when I attemptd to use it on Windows Live messenger I was unable to broadcast sound. Despite having apparently set up it up correctly. And the mic test showed it was picking up sounds. Just not broadcasting. Also even thoug I have a very fast and good quality DSL 8 meg connection the broadcast was very jerky and froze alot. Sometimes for several seconds a time and was quite rtandom.

I put it down to perhaps the cam not being of good quality but after installing a Logitech Sphere MP cam I got exactly the samer problem. Albeit I did notice the mic config list didnt show the logitech mic as recording option at all. However the inbuilt mic stil wasnt broadcasting anyway. I have set up the Logitech Sphere as default mic so this is rather unusual. I know there is no problem with my internet connection and I have used a much lesser quality cam on what was then a slower connection on an older desktop and there was no jerkiness. The issue seems to be simply this notwebook is havong difficulty.

I am using windows vista premium(32) as it came standard on the machine which is just a week old. I would appreciate any help with this matter or perhaps any tips I can try over the weekend.

4 REPLIES 4
DavidWhincup
Visitor

Well I was hoping someone may have had an idea by now. Does anyone need more info to go on? I bought this machine last weekend and am using vista. It is rather an important matter. This evening I did a restore to try and get to the problem. I am able to record sound but as I say. The cam appears to be picking up sound and vision just fine. Just not broadcasting well with consistent visuals and nothing on sound.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi David and welcome to Club Vaio.

Sorry but no-one seems to have had the same problem which surprises me. You may have to wait until a few more members read your post - lots seem to be away for the weekend.

I did a very quick Google which produces hundreds of hits - obviously a common problem. There are some suggested solutions here and in lots of other places: -

http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t7988.html

If no-one else comes up with a solution, perhaps Sony Support may have an idea -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/contacts/contacts.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&tp=vaio&cm=phone&cc=UK

:slight_frown:

DavidWhincup
Visitor

Yes I did a quick search myself. Even that system restore I did on tech support advice (against better judgement I may add) didnt fix it. Im going to try givinmg Sony a call tommorow. But Any help is appreciated.

Im interested in one that said go into regedit but I dont know what that means. Could you enlighten me?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi David,

I'm not sure what it does but the suggestion is that editing the Registry values for the default current user can fix the problem. I don't know anything about this - so it's your decision!

If you want to try this, be very careful not to change anything else in the Registry.

Click on the Start button and type REGEDIT into the Search Bar. This will find the Registry Editor in the box above - just double-click on it to open the editor.

A box will open which says Registry Editor.
In the left hand box, click once on HKEY_CURRENT_USER to highlight it.
In the right-hand box, right-click on '(Default)' and choose 'Delete'.
Re-boot your Vaio.

:thinking: