Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

andrewdann
Visitor

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO with a DW-D56A which has recently stopped working.

I can see the drive in explorer, but when a disc is inserted it doesn't "spin up" and I can't read ANY discs.

If I look at the properties for the drive, it shows disc not inserted.
Everything else shows that the CD drive is functioning correctly and there are no error codes.

I have tried to re-flash the firmware (PFS3) with no luck - However at the end of the flash process it does a disc "Inquiry" and then I can read the disc that I left in the drive. If I eject the disc and re-insert or restart the PC I'm back to square one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Seems strange that I can read it just after the firmware flash process????

Thanks Andy

81 REPLIES 81
zina
Visitor

have the same model that is faulty,after three repairs it still doesnt burn anything!
send it back

sony by now should have understanded that they shouldnt replace the faulty model dvd's with the same faulty models!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Zina's starting a new club - the broken DVD club

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It's going to be a very big club LOL.:smileycry:

Just don't keep the membership details on a DVD Zina!

zina
Visitor

Zina's starting a new club - the broken DVD club

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: im sure we will have lots of fans!

and dont worry guys,ill keep them on another laptop-not vaio!:smileytongue:

kee-lo_

Club-Zina.Sony-Europe.com

amoss
Visitor

Hi Andy,

I logged exactly the same problem as you (on 08.03/06). What do you mean run the flash process? I also installed the firmware update PSF3, whatever it is, but no difference. Sony have been calling me everyday since I complained to vaio-link last week. They asked me to recover my system and then they will pick it up, am reluctant as I'll lose my applications. Are you still under warranty? Its a real duff drive and I'll be furious if they put the same model in!!

all the best,
alison

kee-lo_

Alison,

Do you have an external hard disk? If so you can use Norton Ghost they supply with the laptop to make an exact image so you can send it back restored - but when it comes home you can put the old image back on.

andrewdann
Visitor

Alison,

By flash process I meant firmware update - sorry. PC is out of warranty so Im keen to resolve the problem myself is possible. Have been trawling the net and it appears that this CD/DVD is prone to failure!

Tried to get some help at numerous forums but no luck apart from "join the club" so looks like it might be a hardware problem and the drive will nee to be replaced.

Andy

kjdooris
Visitor

We have 2 vaios - my cd drive broke a few days after warrantee period, and my friends cd drive went within a matter of weeks of buying it (mines nearly 2 year old now, his is 2 months) now we cant restore the systems without a lot of hassle.
Im upgrading soon and really wondering wether i should bother with sony this time.