Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

andrewdann
Visitor

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO with a DW-D56A which has recently stopped working.

I can see the drive in explorer, but when a disc is inserted it doesn't "spin up" and I can't read ANY discs.

If I look at the properties for the drive, it shows disc not inserted.
Everything else shows that the CD drive is functioning correctly and there are no error codes.

I have tried to re-flash the firmware (PFS3) with no luck - However at the end of the flash process it does a disc "Inquiry" and then I can read the disc that I left in the drive. If I eject the disc and re-insert or restart the PC I'm back to square one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Seems strange that I can read it just after the firmware flash process????

Thanks Andy

81 REPLIES 81
phulla
Visitor

Going back to a post where someone mentions the VGN497XP, i bought mine in July 2005, the DVD writer stopped working after i had burned about 2 discs and by August, it became totally useless. Im not gonna go into what i tried to get the lappy replaced.

I have read i can purchase the DWQ58A has a replacement for my current DW56A, is this correct?

I will froogle it and see where and how much i can get it. I assume it is also a dual layer DVD/CD burner.

GE90
Visitor

Going back to a post where someone mentions the VGN497XP, i bought mine in July 2005, the DVD writer stopped working after i had burned about 2 discs and by August, it became totally useless. Im not gonna go into what i tried to get the lappy replaced.

I have read i can purchase the DWQ58A has a replacement for my current DW56A, is this correct?

I will froogle it and see where and how much i can get it. I assume it is also a dual layer DVD/CD burner.

Yes, it was a direct replacement on the A497XP! Not sure on the spec, but burns DVD's just fine, faster than the old drive as well.

I bought mine from ebay. The faceplate and brackets swap over from old drive.

I hope this helps!

phulla
Visitor

Yes, it was a direct replacement on the A497XP! Not sure on the spec, but burns DVD's just fine, faster than the old drive as well.

I bought mine from ebay. The faceplate and brackets swap over from old drive.

I hope this helps!

Great, because i ordered a new one from Play.com for forty three of my english pounds. Although it was not in stock, it will be dispatched as soon as... hopefully in the next few days/week

Thanks for the info, appreciated.

snionios
Visitor

The only drive i found and probably will get is :AD-7540A AW-G540A. In the proccess of finding a new drive i 've broken 2 buttons from the keyboard aswell 😕
well after 3-4 years (cant recall when exactly i bought it) with hardcore use i saw its limits.

phulla
Visitor

looks like i aint getting my q58a from play.com or anywhere else. i can't find it, its out of stock. plus while i was browsing, im finding links in forums complaining the q58a with similar problems as the d56a

Wa to do?

boydsj
Visitor

You can buy it at PC WORLD 

:wink:

This is the answer.
I've reserved one and collected it at store. Installed today to my VGM-V2M desktop. You will find that a couple of screws need removed to release the demon dw-d56a :smileydevil:.
You can then slide in this optiarch AD 5540A and replace screws. You can replace the front plate (bezel) from the dw-d56a for the perfect finish. It clips off quite easily.

£39.99 Saves a lot of wasted time and heartache. :slight_smile:

phulla
Visitor

This is the answer.
I've reserved one and collected it at store. Installed today to my VGM-V2M desktop. You will find that a couple of screws need removed to release the demon dw-d56a :smileydevil:.
You can then slide in this optiarch AD 5540A and replace screws. You can replace the front plate (bezel) from the dw-d56a for the perfect finish. It clips off quite easily.

£39.99 Saves a lot of wasted time and heartache. :slight_smile:

I just mine from micro direct £32 delivered!!! Gonna log off now and fit it.

matt80
Visitor

I have a A417M if i use the new suggested drive (AD 5540A) will my eject button which is to the left of the drive mounted on the body still work?

Does it work well?

phulla
Visitor

My A497XP also has a button on the side of the laptop to eject the drive tray, it still works cuz it is hard wired to the board and not to the drive. I changed my OEM for an Optiarc and it works great. I had to use the drive tray front panel off my OEM drive since the Optiarc panel was slighty wider and would catch on the laptop housing and would not eject and when i jiggled it it would not close unless i slammed it. So just make sure you check that too.

Rothwell
Visitor

I have a similar computer (A417S) and problem to matt80.

So, the one to get is the AD 5540A :thinking: ? How hard is it to install it? Or should I just buy myself a Dell...?