Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

andrewdann
Visitor

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO with a DW-D56A which has recently stopped working.

I can see the drive in explorer, but when a disc is inserted it doesn't "spin up" and I can't read ANY discs.

If I look at the properties for the drive, it shows disc not inserted.
Everything else shows that the CD drive is functioning correctly and there are no error codes.

I have tried to re-flash the firmware (PFS3) with no luck - However at the end of the flash process it does a disc "Inquiry" and then I can read the disc that I left in the drive. If I eject the disc and re-insert or restart the PC I'm back to square one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Seems strange that I can read it just after the firmware flash process????

Thanks Andy

81 REPLIES 81
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks. Would this fit a A497XP laptop?

The drive will probably fit most fairly modern laptops. The problem is the faceplate provided is a recangle and most Vaios are shaped to fit the casing. I don't know if you can swap your existing faceplate on this model.

When Sony replace the drive, they supply it with the exact faceplate for your model.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Blencogo is correct - this will fit your model.

If the original drive fitted in your notebook was the DW-D56A then swapping the faceplate to the DW-Q58A will not cause a problem as it has the same fixings.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks Rich - that's good to know. I think PC World are going to be inundated with orders!

:smileythinking:

GE90
Visitor

Great, thanks. Does anyone have the proceedure for changing. I have just downloaded a repair manual, but it does not show how to remove the optical drive! Shows everything else.....

Thanks again.

leftys
Visitor

Great, thanks. Does anyone have the proceedure for changing. I have just downloaded a repair manual, but it does not show how to remove the optical drive! Shows everything else.....

Thanks again.

hello

would you like to tell where did you find a service manual for VGN-A297xp? I have problems with the CD-drive and i would like to replace it without the "help" from Sony...

thanks in advance

leftys
Visitor

Zina

(sorry members, I have to use greek in order to get a quick respone)

Eimai thessaloniki, mporeis na epikoinoniseis mazi mou sto leftyss AT gmail DOT com... exo provlima me to drive, thelo na mou peis an vrikes lysh giati taxo parei me ti sony... thanks!

another member of SONY's-bad-drive-DW-D56A club... 😉

Stomney0
Visitor

!IMOPORTANT!!

I had this problem too with a different model

USE your recovey utility and do a CUSTOM RECOVERY>
FACTORY DEFAULT RECOVERY

This will format all partitions, restore partition and reinstall all your drivers, utils, and software that you got with your computer.

You should now find that your computer is back to normal.

It is quite simply a driver problem.
It happend to me when I upgraded my operating system.

zina
Visitor

Hi Lefty....check your mail:smileyhappy:

GE90
Visitor

Thanks again.

hello

would you like to tell where did you find a service manual for VGN-A297xp? I have problems with the CD-drive and i would like to replace it without the "help" from Sony...

thanks in advance

I could have e-mailed my guide, as its only 3MB, but it does not cover the A297XP.... I could still mail it if you would like?

I got it from ebay,

Hope that helps,

GE90

leftys
Visitor

Thanks again.

hello

thanks in advance

I could have e-mailed my guide, as its only 3MB, but it does not cover the A297XP.... I could still mail it if you would like?

I got it from ebay,

Hope that helps,

GE90

What is your model? it will be helpful anyway... just mail it to leftyss AT gmail DOT com.... I just found a technician who claims to have a nec drive compatible with the dw-d56a... I will bring the laptop to him next week and i will pray everything to be ok after the "operation" 🙂

thanks!