Join now - be part of our community!

clean fan

petgertra
Visitor

clean fan

Hi,
I would like to know the best way to clean the fan inside my laptop (VGN S5XP/B). Is there and easy way to do it myself? With compressed air for example? Or is this not advisable?
Many thanks,
Peter

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The ultimate way of doing it is opening it up, but if it is in warranty, then you're right, compressed air is the way to go.

petgertra
Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply!
The warranty on my laptop has already passed, so that's not an issue. But is it difficult to open it up, clean it and close it? Is it very risky if you've never done it before?
If I were to use compressed air, how do I 'lock' the fan to keep it from 'overturning'. Or is this not a danger?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi petgertra and welcome.

I have attached the manual for the S-Series which will give you an idea of what is involved!!

It doesn't look tooooooooooooooooooo bad!

dhansoia
Visitor

Hi petgertra and welcome.

I have attached the manual for the S-Series which will give you an idea of what is involved!!

It doesn't look tooooooooooooooooooo bad!

By any chance do you have such a manual for vgn-ar series.

petgertra
Visitor

Thank you Blencogo for the manual, it's quite clear. If I were to d this myself carefully, would there be any major risks?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi dhansoia,

VGN-AR Series Manual is attached: -

:slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi petgertra,

There are always a few risks and the choice must be yours. As with all complex things, just be very careful.

:wink:

petgertra
Visitor

I've opened the computer using the manual (there was a slight difference), cleaned the fan and everything works fine again! So thank you again!

dhansoia
Visitor

Hi dhansoia,

VGN-AR Series Manual is attached: -

:slight_smile:

Thanks Blencogo