Join now - be part of our community!

clean install and brightness cannot be adjusted

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mugen338
Visitor

clean install and brightness cannot be adjusted

recently bought a VPCEH3 and on the whole happy with it, however will probably be last sony laptop i buy. the leading edge of the case looks like a design afterthought. no wonder sony are falling behind.

anyway. did a clean install of wind 7 64 bit and can't get the brightness to adjust via Fn keys. have googled and phoned sony support (useless) after a fair bit of research found out that the control software isn't just bad, it's a joke programmed by the same guy that designed the case.

is there any way to install this control software without going through multiple iterations to make sure you install in the right order.

less than impressed

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mugen338,

We would need your exact model number to point you in the right direction, but generally speaking you will need to first install the SFEP driver from within Device Manager using the Have Disk Method then install Sony Shared Library followed by Sony Notebook Utilities.Check the Support site for applicable downloads.

You may find that the SFEP device (Sony Extension Parser Device) listed either under Human Interface Devices or an Unknown Device has a yellow warning symbol. If so follow these instructions to install the driver.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double click Device Manager.

Right click the device and select Properties

Click the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list...

Click Have Disk....

Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.

Click OK.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi mugen338,

We would need your exact model number to point you in the right direction, but generally speaking you will need to first install the SFEP driver from within Device Manager using the Have Disk Method then install Sony Shared Library followed by Sony Notebook Utilities.Check the Support site for applicable downloads.

You may find that the SFEP device (Sony Extension Parser Device) listed either under Human Interface Devices or an Unknown Device has a yellow warning symbol. If so follow these instructions to install the driver.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double click Device Manager.

Right click the device and select Properties

Click the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list...

Click Have Disk....

Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.

Click OK.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat