Join now - be part of our community!

Crashing

tman16
Visitor

Crashing

Hi,

I have only had this VGN-SZ3HP/B laptop since christmas so its up to date 1gb ram intel core 2 duo 1.83ghz 128mb graphics etc... but after about 5 mins of playing a game the laptop just turns off. ANy ideas why this might be please?

thanks
tman16

5 REPLIES 5
rfwebster
Visitor

im no expert, but my desktop used to do that, bear in mind it was not top spec, but it was over heating and this is what made it turn off, on its own, so are you blocking ventilation or something?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi tman16

The cause of your vaio shutting down could due to overheating...!!

what is the normal running temperature of your vaio..?

If your unsure, mobilemeter is a handy application to use.. :slight_smile:

tman16
Visitor

temperature 87 C
hdd 37 C

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi tman16,

That is much too hot - your processor shuts itself down at 90 degrees to avoid damage.

Check your cooling vents are not blocked and that your fans are working. If the problem persists you may have to take the Vaio apart to clean it out as even a small amount of debris around the CPU can cause this problem.

You say you have only had it since Christmas. It could be that your Graphics Card can't handle the game in full resolution and is throwing too much work on the processor. Try playing the game with a reduced resolution or turn off some of the special effects.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi tman16,

I agree with Blencogo also try clearing the cooling vents of dust with compressed air (you should be able to get this from your local PC shop), holding the can upright give the vents a short blast from a distance of approx. 10cm if you hold the can to close you could damage the fan.. :wink: