Join now - be part of our community!

DNS Server is not responding.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
MK21946
Visitor

DNS Server is not responding.

I have a SONY VAIO VGN-NW26N.  I cannot for some reason connect to IE and I get the message that "The DNS Server is not responding".  What is this and how do I resolve it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MK21946
Visitor

update to the above....

out of desperation, i started going through the list of connected support items which took me to the "Change TCP/IP settings.  I noticed on one of the settings Internet Protocl Version 4 properties was to use a specified DNS Server address.  Changing this to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" has resolved the issue and I am back online.

Many thanks for your help and support.

Regards

MK21946

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi MK21946,

A DNS server is any computer registered to join the Domain Name System. A DNS server runs special-purpose networking software, features a public IP address, and contains a database of network names and addresses for other Internet hosts.”

Try flushing the the DNS resolver cache and then renew IP address. The following is copied from MS Support.

1.      Click Start. Type cmd in the Start Search box, right click CMD and select ‘Run as administrator’. 

2.      At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ipconfig /flushdns (there is a space between ipconfig and / )

It will show the message successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache.

3.      At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
ipconfig /registerdns (there is a space between ipconfig and / )

4.      At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

ipconfig /all (there is a space between ipconfig and /)
The ipconfig /all command displays Windows TCP/IP settings for all your network adapters.

If your IP address for your Local Area Connection is either 0.0.0.0 or 169.x.x.x (where x is any number), then your computer is not getting an IP address from the router. 
If that is the case, try this:

·         ipconfig /release in the command prompt and press ENTER

·         ipconfig /renew in the command prompt and press ENTER

Test it again by typing ipconfig /all to see what the address is?  (If you are on a home router, it should start with either 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x or 10.x.x.x)

Hope this helps.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MK21946
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Many thanks for your response.  Am trying to see if I am doing this right, and your instructions are so clear I cannot imagine I'm not, but....

When I get to the ipconfig /all stage, there are three paragraphs (for want of a better phrase) that have Local Area Connection in them. 

1. Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection - Media state = Media disconnected.  Physical Address = 00-24-BE ....... etc

2. Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12 - Media State = Media disconnected.  Physical Address = 00-00-00-00-00... etc 

3. Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 21 - all as above for *12

I am hoping that means something to you....!

Very much apreciateing your help.

Thanks

MK21946

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi MK21946,

I'm not at my PC at present so can't do a proper check, but I would have expected you to see a Wireless LAN adaptor listed - assuming you have wireless enabled. I assume that you have scrolled up the pane?

However, it is still safe to proceed to the next stage of releasing and renewing the IP address.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MK21946
Visitor

Yes, there are many 'paragraphs', one of which is Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection.

Media State = Media disconnected

Address = 00-24-D6- .......

DHCP and Autociguration Enabled = Yes

In fact all these are Media disconnected.

under all this are three sentences....

No operation can be performed on *Bluetooth Network Connection/Wireless Network Connection/Local Area Connection (each one has it's own line) while it has its media disconnected.  Guess the next question is how to reconnect all these.

Yes the Wireless is on as are my bluetooth and Wireless LAN according to the lights and VAIO Smart Network display.   I did the next stage of the process too but still get the same response.

Arrrrrgggghhhh!

Message was edited by: MK21946

Message was edited by: MK21946

MK21946
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I have  done the "ipconfig /all" command again and now see that the IPv4 Address for the Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless Network Connection starts 192 now.  The lease starting 29 Nov ending 2nd Dec (???), so it appears that progress is being made although I cannot connect to the internet still and get the same message when I run the diagnosis.

What are the next steps?

All this is especially peculiar as when I took my laptop to NY a couple of months back, I was able to connect etc from the hotel, and everything worked before I went away.  On returning, it didn't work - simple as that...!

Many thanks

MK21946
Visitor

update to the above....

out of desperation, i started going through the list of connected support items which took me to the "Change TCP/IP settings.  I noticed on one of the settings Internet Protocl Version 4 properties was to use a specified DNS Server address.  Changing this to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" has resolved the issue and I am back online.

Many thanks for your help and support.

Regards

MK21946

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I'm plesed to hear that you have resolved the problem :slight_smile:

It would seem that whatever connection you made in the States made alterations to your system settings. One to remember for the next trip :wink:

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

Try the below given things:

• Flush DNS by typing this command in command prompt: ipconfig /flushdns
  • Restart or reset your router.
  • Try using internet on other device, so you can analyse is it because of device or Internet.
  • Change physical address, see this guide to do this: http://whatismyipaddress.com/change-mac.
  • Check more solutions here or contact your ISP.

since yesterday it keep said dns problem my internet is great it keep login me out dont let me play hack again ?