Join now - be part of our community!

Downgrading from Vista to XP on FZ11Z

swlabhot
Visitor

Downgrading from Vista to XP on FZ11Z

Has anyone done this? I have just downgraded to XP as Vista kept blue screening on me (in fact twice in the first 3 days I had it!) and I had enough of it.

I got it running but there are still a few things I need to get working on it. I need the XP drivers for the following:

1) Motion eye cam
2) LAN (not wireless)

Two other niggles:

The 'Fn' button don't work (i.,e brightness adj).
The built-in speakers still output sound even when the headphone jack is plugged in!?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Steven.

11 REPLIES 11
MattWilson
Visitor

Welcome to ClubVAIO :slight_smile:

You'd be lucky if you ever get the Fn keys working as they require a special utility and your model doesn't have any XP utilities.

As for the Motion Eye which model did you have - starts VCC?

Do you know what LAN card you have? Its likely to be an Intel card so have a look at the Intel website and see if you can find it.

What audio driver do you have installed?

:thinking:

swlabhot
Visitor

Its a VGN-FZ11Z.

I read from another post on here that someone got the Fn keys to work but didnt say which utility they had installed to get it working?

I don't know which LAN card it comes with, although the wireless one is Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG. The LAn card is under the 'Other Devices', as Ethernet Controller so there is no way of me knowing. I had already checked Intel's site but none really sticks out.

I installed the 'SigmaTel High Def Audio CODEC'. I had to first apply the MS patch tho before it will install.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I think the LAN needs the Marvell® Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller Driver - this is the XP version from the Vaio SX3 but I don't know if it will install on your model.

:wink:

swlabhot
Visitor

Blencogo, I just tried the link you supplied but no joy, it says its not compatible.

Would someone with a working ethernet on the Vaio FZ11Z be kind enough to look in device manager for me and tell me what Ethernet card it is and I will go directly to the manufacturers web site to download it.

Thanks in advance!

paston
Visitor

You can get it from here:
http://www.opendrivers.com/freedownload/238720/marvell-yukon-gige-driver-10.15.9.3-windows-2000-xp(x...

The setup that came with Vista should work too.

I am having an issue with using dual screen on xp, the mouse pointer looks like its exploded 😞

swlabhot
Visitor

Paston, thanks a mil! At last it works!

amaru007
Visitor

i'm happy to say, i've downgraded mine to xp pro.
as far as i can tell all drivers are installed. graphics, sata, lan/wifi/modem and sound. even bluetooth and the camera :smileygrin:
only problem i've encountered so far is the blueray crashing when playing movies, but i'll see what i can do about it.

still in the testing stage to see what else could be wrong.
i'll make a proper topic, much like the ar21(31?) thats there.
now onwards to the 2nd stage, to see if i can find and install the relevant vaio utilities,and to get the hdmi working :laughing:

jazzyyy
Visitor

i'm happy to say, i've downgraded mine to xp pro.
now onwards to the 2nd stage, to see if i can find and install the relevant vaio utilities,and to get the hdmi working :laughing:

Are You have work backlight adjusting??? :thinking:

amaru007
Visitor

nope its basically xp pro with none of the Fn features working (minus the mute)
same goes for the hdmi out and the S and AV buttons.
my advice, bual boot if you wanto use the full features of the laptop. i did this so i could watch bluray.