Join now - be part of our community!

dvd/cd NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY

fmgidiri
Visitor

dvd/cd NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY

I recently bought my vaio notebook vgn-a217m on November 17. The DVD/CD drive began not to read or write CDs after about a week. I sent my notebook back to Sony and they returned it with a message that they replaced the drive. Now about a week after the problem is back. I cannot watch dvds or listen to music or install software. I know a friend of mine who has had problems with dvd.cd drive of his new vaio notebook. Is this only my problem or there is a technical problem sony is not aware of. Anybody having a similar problem? Any ideas of sorting this problem. Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
dabbler
Visitor

This is my third attempt to reply to this post. My two previous replies seem to have been automactically deleted:smileyconfused:

Here goes. Same problem with my A297XP the DVD?CD drive stppped reading ANY kind of disc and made the same "unhealthy noises". This was after seven days of having bought it and also having copied about 80 or so music CD's.

Sony replaced the drive and so far it's OK. I reckon the problem will reoccur. I notice that all the machines mentioned in this thread are the "2" series. Do you reckon it's something to do with the Dual Layer ability or am I barking up the wrong tree.

I reckon Sony will never admit to there being a manufacturing problem. Maybe the drives were rushed out to production before full testing.:smileyangry:

dabbler
Visitor

The drive needs replacing which is what happened with mine. There is a problem somewhere with these Sony DVD/CD drives. I just hope it doesn't happen again but I'm not holding out too much hope.