Join now - be part of our community!

dvd will not allow delete

crap
Visitor

dvd will not allow delete

I have posted earlier but it has not appeared. How long does it take to show here?
This has been done mainly to test.

My problem - how do i delete a single file from a dvd-rw?
I do know how to do it on other machines - highlight icon - then delete.
I have tried to remove "read only" but it shows an error.

8 REPLIES 8
chuckalicious
Visitor

Odd, I can only imagine Windows sees it as closed. Did you specify the program you wrote the DVD with to not close the disc? I've not done it myself, but I think closing a re-writable disc does stop you doing that and you have to erase the whole thingusing something like Nero. Not that that helps much. Have you tried a few different applications to see if they all do the same?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Did you specify the program you wrote the DVD with to not close the disc? I've not done it myself, but I think closing a re-writable disc does stop you doing that and you have to erase the whole thingusing something like Nero. 

You're right chuckalicious :slight_smile:

crap
Visitor

It is a new vaio -the SW is as preloaded - i do not know the program.

I put a blank DVD-rw in the drive and drag a file onto the drive icon.
The file is then loaded onto the DVD - simple.
The drive opens on its own and stated it has loaded the file.
The file has been changed during loading to read only by the SW.
I check if it has loaded ok by opening the file as normal.All is ok.
Then i try to delete - it will not.

I can remove all SW and load my old prog but at this stage i think it should work otherwise what is the point of me purch a new comp if i have to use old equipment!!!

The OS on this new vaio is xp home (spit) i normally use W2K pro.
The idea is that the comp ,not necessarily the OS or other SW, will replace an older setup.

At this stage i am testing the vaio but am more than a bit disappointed i can not get it to work.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

crap
Visitor

The other setup, which this is to replace,allows me t o do any thing i can do with a hard drive.

If upon making a mistake, that needs the file deleting,i have to remove/delete all the other info on the drive - they will be very costly mistakes!!

crap
Visitor

I have not had a lot of respose to my problem does that imply most of you with DVD writer use it to load a full DVD each time you use it?

kee-lo_

I don't have a DVD writer, but if it's anything like CD-RW what I do is tell Nero to remove files the next time it writes.

I really don't use CD-RW much.

crap
Visitor

Does it remove one or all files - IE wipe the cd clean?

I am begining to think that (apart from copy) CD and DVD are not used much.

kee-lo_

It can do one or more files. To wipe the lot I would do erase disc.