Join now - be part of our community!

local are connection network cable unplugged???!!!!

k5nsy
Visitor

local are connection network cable unplugged???!!!!

I am a computer novice and want to find out why my LAC connection is showing up 'unplugged'
I am an aol user and can access that no problem but cannot access interenet explorer/outlook express etc.
Please help!!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi

The LAN is unplugged? Have you physically got a network cable plugged in (RJ-45)?

k5nsy
Visitor

Hi,
thanks for your reply-
but whats one of those? lolol [:">]
realy- the real problem is i couldnt use internet explorer or outlook express- is this because of the LAC network cable being unplugged?
what does the RJ-45 cable do and is this cable you suggested meant to be in the network port?
this has a sticker on it at the moment with a cross on it.

sorry! my 10yr old brother probably knows more than me!!
thanx
gill

kee-lo_

Hi Gill

LAN is Local Area Network, and RJ-45 is the type of cable used to connect PCs to other PCs or the internet. Are you connecting to the internet via a modem or LAN? If it's a modem then you need to go to Tools > Internet Options and click on the connections tab. Click on your AOL connection and click the set default button. You should now get no more interuptions from IE.

tellingd
Visitor

Ah yes, the old 'set as default' thing. AOL always tries to set itself as the default for internet and for e-mail. It may be worthwhile going into Tools--> Options in Outlook Express and checking whether or not it is the default 'mail client'. Can't remember exactly where but if you go through all the options you should find it.

H T H :slight_smile: