Join now - be part of our community!

Error message - "The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally"

Skeeta
Visitor

Error message - "The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally"

This is my first post to the forum (after owning my VAIO notebook for more than 4 years). My notebook is a PCG-GR214MP with XP PRO SP2 (completely up to date) OS.

I am concerned that for the past few days I am receiving the following error message -

"The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft."

All I know is that the Display Adapter is a Mobility Radeon from ATI Technologies, however there do not appear to be any updated drivers for the adapter and I'm concerned that the current driver has become corrupted.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem.

The relevant file is ati2dvag.dll 😞

12 REPLIES 12
stiobhna
Visitor

Can't help with any solution, but I've got a VGN-A217S with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 installed (2 years old).

I get the same problem, particularly with some games (e.g. 'Half Life 2 - Episode 1' and 'Rise of Legends').

The most recent driver available from Sony (as there is no direct driver support for notebooks from ATI) is v 6.14.10.6458c but this is almost 2 years old! It's extraordinary to conceive there isn't a more recent version available.

I've sent a query to Sony via e-Support re. this problem - I'm pretty sure the driver needs updating to negate the problem.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Sadly mate, and I've seen this so many times now its UNREAL...

Sony do not and will not ever upgrade their drivers. Its very sad but true. You can try to find new drivers from the manufacturer of your video card, but catch 22 is that many of these manufacturers have not got the mobility (laptop) drivers for download...

Its a nightmare, as the manufacturers will refer you to your OEM - which is SONY *sigh* so you get the royal runaround....

You may be lucky and find appropriate drivers... but unfortunately its a case of making do with that you have :slight_frown:

Skeeta
Visitor

Many thanks Rich 912 - I downloaded the pre-installed drivers from the Vaio Link site and then uninstalled the device driver. I then installed the Mobility Radeon driver that I had downloaded onto my desktop and it now seems to be working without too many problems ...apart from the fact that MS Outlook (2000) crashes every time I attempt to open it.

My system came with System Recovery discs (yes, it's that old - purchased October 2001). I have installed all updates via the MS download site. I'm just concerned that if I now do a complete re-install of XP Pro right up to SP2 it will literally take days.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an efficient method of installing the OS (plus programmes)?

Cheers
Tricia