Join now - be part of our community!

eSATA connection drops

profile.country.en_GB.title
mibuick
Visitor

eSATA connection drops

Hi,

Sony VPCF11Z1E laptop (6 months old).

I now have 3 Lacie eSATA external drives, and was wondering if anyone was having the same difficulty as me with the eSATA connection dropping?  This happens when copying files in either direction.

1TB QUADRA - never drops & works perfectly

2TB QUADRA - always drops - tested now on 2 new 2TB Lacie's

Lacie say there is a problem with the 2TB I purchased.  But now having tested on a second 2TB (brand new) it has the same issue.

I have tried swapping eSATA cables and Power Supplies etc as a process of elimination.  But find it hard to believe I now have 2 defective 2TB Lacie's.

It seems Lacie 2TB is uncompatible with this laptop.

Has anyone experienced the same problem with Lacie?

Thank you in advance for your help you can offer!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
martindick22
Visitor

I have a similar problem with my VPCEC1S1E - the same 1TB Seagate drive works fine in my icybox caddy, but not in my Lacie one. The connection drops after about 10 seconds. Also, my Pluscom 2.5" external esata caddy works fine for a few mins then clicks off, or spins and stops, spins and stops.

In fact, the only reliable connection I can get through eSata is with the icybox caddy - no matter what HDD is in it. I ran my new 2TB Seagate in it all day yesterday.

However, all of these drives and caddies work just fine on my desktop PC eSata connection.

A little help, Sony?