Join now - be part of our community!

VPCF13M8E and eSATA

profile.country.en_GB.title
fettler
Visitor

VPCF13M8E and eSATA

Wife and I purchased two new vpcf13m8e notebooks at the beginning of April 2011 from John Lewis. We both have Medion 1TB external hard drives with dual eSATA and USB 2.0 ports.The problem is, the eSATA ports on the notebooks  do not work when connecting to the external drive  eSATA hard drive port but DO work when connecting to the USB port.

I have contacted Sony support but they insist that our external hard drives are at fault and that they cannot help.

My concern is that we have been served up with two notebooks that have been fitted with the notorious  original faulty Sandy Bridge chipset but I have no idea how to interrogate the notebooks to determine whether our chipsets are the bad'uns or the good'uns.

Can anyone help on this?

Stuart

PS. OS=Windows 7 Home

Message was edited by: fettler

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
martindick22
Visitor

I have a  problem with my VPCEC1S1E - the same 1TB Seagate drive works fine in my icybox caddy, but not in my Lacie one. The connection drops after about 10 seconds. Also, my Pluscom 2.5" external esata caddy works fine for a few mins then clicks off, or spins and stops, spins and stops.

In fact, the only reliable connection I can get through eSata is with the icybox caddy - no matter what HDD is in it. I ran my new 2TB Seagate in it all day yesterday.

However, all of these drives and caddies work just fine on my desktop PC eSata connection.

A little help, Sony?