Join now - be part of our community!

Extended warranty for TX3?

buffyangel108
Visitor

Extended warranty for TX3?

Hi all, first time poster :slight_smile:

I bought a Sony Vaio VGN-TX3XP last September and realise that the one year manufacturer's warranty is about to expire. A few months ago, I was browsing the Sony Style (UK) store and noticed an additional two year "extended warranty" available for around £175, but when I've gone back today to order it, it seems to have vanished from the list!

Does anyone know the best (and, preferably, cheapest!) place I can pick up one of these extended warranties? I'm assuming this can still be bought now (eleven months from the purchase date of the laptop) and doesn't have to be bought along with the laptop itself?

Many thanks for any help :slight_smile:

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hi, and welcome to the club

The two year warranty is not available for users who've had their laptops longer than 30 days, so it would be a waste of your time getting it.

Also, you should check what it can cover: and see if it's cheaper to put that money into a savings account where you can gain interest and buy a new machine in 2-3 years time, or even cover the cost of repairs like buying new parts from Nexttronics (www.nexttronics.com).

Personally I'd advise against them, because you find that by the time something goes wrong the warranty doesn't always cover it (sods law) or it's just outside the period and it's been a waste of cash.

Personally I take the que serra serra point of view. £200 for an extention that might not be used doesn't make economic sense to me, but that's your call.

Hope this helps.

buffyangel108
Visitor

Many thanks for your speedy and helpful reply :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you have a local Sony Centre, I would ask there. I believe you can extend the warranty provided you are still within the original 1 year warranty period - so act fast!!

You are right, the extra 2 year warranty has disappeared from Sony Style (although the extra 1 year is still there - PCGE-VPW1 £105).

Sony Centres

Google for PCGE-VPW2 for the best price - £142.82 at DABS.COM

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Blencogo,

I was told by Sony that the warranty packs are only available within the first 30 days of ownership, maybe the rules have changed.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Maybe or maybe not - it is not very clear is it Kee-Lo.

Best to ask at a Sony Centre I think.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Blencogo,

I was told by Sony that the warranty packs are only available within the first 30 days of ownership, maybe the rules have changed.

Hi buffyangel108

According to the Sony style site the VGPEVPW2/D VAIO Plus 2: +2 year warranty extension provides an additional 2-year service coverage to the standard warranty on your VAIO Laptop and Desktop through the VAIO-Link service program. Compatible with all VAIO laptops and desktops.

* Extends the service coverage on your VAIO Notebook and Desktop to three years from the date of purchase through the VAIO-Link service program
* Register within a year of purchase at the VAIO-Link Call Centre for assistance from our team
* Available only for VAIO Notebooks or Desktops still covered by the first year warranty

You can download the warranty brochure here

As Blencogo mentioned it worth searching on google for the best price though.. :wink: