Join now - be part of our community!

Extreme heat

profile.country.en_GB.title
LucasKarp
Visitor

Extreme heat

Hello

It seems that I have a problem of extreme heat with my Vaio VPCS13C5E.

I just performed a full re-installation of the system, so computer is clean and still.

i did Google and red forum, but there is no solution to that anywhere.

non of the fansinks are covered, laptop is sitting on my desk

below a read out from SpeedFan just after turning laptop on (attached as well)

and after a moment which took me writing this post

Any idea how to solve it?

Is it even safe to have this computer on?

Message was edited by: LucasKarp

13 REPLIES 13
LucasKarp
Visitor

heat.jpg

wow, fast answer!

trying to attach it again as jpg, basically CPU temps around 80 even 90 degrees, checking if is still have a warranty, it was bought 15/11/2010

LucasKarp
Visitor

by mistake a replied to my own post...so it's above

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Lucas and welcome.

OK - I can see it now.

Can you hear the fan working or is it silent?

Are you just browsing this forum for the period of the readout?  You can probably expect temperatures over 70 degrees during gameplay but not when browsing.

The warranty will be 12 months unless the Vaio was made to order or has Windows 7 Professional installed.

:thinking:

LucasKarp
Visitor

yea, fan is working

Vaio was custom made (configurable), if that's what you asking about

I7-640

500 GB 7200 RPM

8 GB RAM

NVIDIA 310M 512 RAM

Windows Home per-installed

what options do I have now?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You will have a 24 month warranty on a CTO model.

Has this just started happening - I see you have had the Vaio for 18 months - when did you first notice it?  If it is a recent development, then you can check if the fan ducts are partly clogged with dust as a good clean out may help.

I see that it reaches high temperatures very quickly after turning on - this is a little unusual as high temperatures are normally only achieved after continuous periods under load.  Have you tried another temperature checker like Everest Home or PC Wizard?

Does this only happen at startup?  What are the temperatures at idle after use for 30 minutes or so?  What are the temperatures under load - playing a game or watching a Video?

If this is not just a spike after startup, I suppose as it is still within warranty, you should speak to Vaio Support first and see what they suggest as a way forward.

LucasKarp
Visitor

I guess it was always somewhat warm, maybe not as much

I can run other program, but I can physically feel the heat

It doesn't really go lower, and I'm just browsing, so I'm quite scared to run a game to be honest,

is the fact that I'm based in Amsterdam, NL right now changes something on warranty execution?

most important now - is it safe to use, or something can fry?

I'll try to call someone tomorrow, I found 2 numbers on website, which one would be to right one? (I'm assuming you're some Sony expert)

many thanks for your help so far

LucasKarp
Visitor

ok, so they called me today, claiming that I don't have warranty anymore

obviously I can not call them back, again, system won't accept my serial number

can you please advise where is written about 24 months warranty for customized laptops?

LucasKarp
Visitor

So I did as you advised

Called yesterday the support, register with my 15 digit serial number, someone took my complain, gave me a 7 digit case number, and told me that someone will call me within couple of hours

No call back, and today I can’t access the support because apparently…my product is not covered anymore

how does it work?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi LucasKarp,

Newer CTO Vaios have a 24 month warranty - have a look here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/vaio-services

I will ask Sony to re-check the exact warranty for your model as there seems to be some confusion.