Join now - be part of our community!

Faulty fax

Zufu
Visitor

Faulty fax

Hi. I bought my new VAIO-FE31H a week ago and have got to grips with most of it. But I can't get it to send a fax -- something I particularly want to do.

I've installed the fax software OK and the fax modem is reported as working well by the Device Manager in Control Panel>System. It's allocated COM2 but that doesn't appear under the Ports (COM & LPT) flag. On my previous PC I would have quizzed the BIOS to check that COM 2 wasn't disabled, but the VAIO's BIOS doesn't seem to go into that sort of detail.

Any ideas, please?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Are you using Microsoft Fax or is this another program?

Zufu
Visitor

It's the built-in Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (SHRFAX) via their Fax Wizard.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm afraid i've not tried it so I haven't a clue!

Is there anything HERE that helps?

COM3 is usual for modems.

:wink:

Zufu
Visitor

Thanks for the link to Microsoft. I went through that procedure and did it again now to make sure I hadn't left anything out: but no luck there, I'm afraid.

I notice you use a WG511T with a DG834GT. That's my setup too, but it appears to be OK in all other respects, so I don't ink that's at fault or wrongly set up.

I'll just keep trying other bright ideas.

It is on COM2, not COM3, I double-checked that as well.

Zufu
Visitor

I seem to have resolved the problem myself now -- but many thanks to those who replied.

What I did was simply to put the fax connection back to COM3 (thanks, Blencogo), then (rather than going via my Netgear wireless link) to connect a suitable lead DIRECTLY from the relevant socket on my laptop to the BT telephone socket.

Lo and behold, I could then hear the phone ring. I tried Hyperterminal and rung my own number and heard a nice lady telling me that I was busy and to try again!

Thanks again everyone -- you were welcome company while I floundered around on my unusual problem.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Great news