Join now - be part of our community!

FN FUNCTION NOT WORKING

SOLVED
profile.country.pt_PT.title
filipe2747
Visitor

FN FUNCTION NOT WORKING

I never had Fn Function keys working on Vaio NW21SF_T Windows 7. I thank any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi,

First check in device manager under 'Human Interface Devices' for the Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver. If its already there then it is already installed and you can carry on installing the others utilities in order.

1. If it is not there open device manager and check for devices that Windows 7 did not automatically install.  Look for one either called 'Unknown Device' or something like 'Intel LPC Device' with a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

2. If you find this then right click the device and choose 'Properties' and then find the 'Details' tab.
3. In the drop down box one of the items will be Hardware ID.
4. Choose this option and make sure that the hardware ID is SNY5001. Only if this ID matches you can now click the 'Drivers' tab and click to 'Install Driver' as normal.
5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
7. Select Have Disk....
8. Select Browse....
9. Browse to your the folder with the downloaded SFEP driver .inf file. (\\SFEP\SFEP.INF)
10. Next ..........
11. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
12. Close & Re-Boot
13. If it works, pour yourself a big drink!

:wink:

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you changed the original operating system or have you deleted fome files?

Try reinstalling the Sony Utilities IN THIS ORDER: -

1. Sony Shared Library

2. Setting Utility Series

3. SFEP

4. Vaio Event Service

You can download them from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-NW21SF_T

There are updates for the Setting Utility Series and the VAIO Event Service under the UPDATES Tab.

filipe2747
Visitor

Hello,

I would like to thank your fast and valuable answer. However it seems something strange is happening because when I arrive at Accept button I click it but nothing happens and this occurs with IE 8 and Chrome.

Best regards.

filipe2747
Visitor

Hello,

I finally reached the following of your instructions and only F9 and F10 do not work yet.

Best regards.

filipe2747
Visitor

I would like to ask you how can I install SFEP driver, please. Thank you.

Best regards.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi,

First check in device manager under 'Human Interface Devices' for the Sony Firmware Extension Parser driver. If its already there then it is already installed and you can carry on installing the others utilities in order.

1. If it is not there open device manager and check for devices that Windows 7 did not automatically install.  Look for one either called 'Unknown Device' or something like 'Intel LPC Device' with a yellow exclamation mark next to it.

2. If you find this then right click the device and choose 'Properties' and then find the 'Details' tab.
3. In the drop down box one of the items will be Hardware ID.
4. Choose this option and make sure that the hardware ID is SNY5001. Only if this ID matches you can now click the 'Drivers' tab and click to 'Install Driver' as normal.
5. Select Browse my computer for driver software.
6. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
7. Select Have Disk....
8. Select Browse....
9. Browse to your the folder with the downloaded SFEP driver .inf file. (\\SFEP\SFEP.INF)
10. Next ..........
11. If you get a warning screen, select "Install Anyway".
12. Close & Re-Boot
13. If it works, pour yourself a big drink!

filipe2747
Visitor

Hello,

I would like to thank your help that fully solved the problem I faced and emphasize your efficient work with fast feedback for my questions.

Best regards.

Filipe Machado

filipe2747
Visitor

Big drink for your good work.:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thank you Filipe.

Enjoy your Vaio.

Kind Regards