Join now - be part of our community!

FZ-21M Graphics Problem

phil3012
Visitor

FZ-21M Graphics Problem

I have a two year old Vaio FZ-21M which has a problem with the display.

Basically on boot up it started coming up with a corrupted screen intermitently, lots of flashing blocks of various colours, othertimes just a few additonal dots on the screen.

Now it also comes up with a driver error in windows vista and then crashes.

This problem frequently occurs but can go a couple of hours between occurences.

I have been led to beleive it may be an issue with the graphics card, has anyone else had a similar issue?

Also does anyone know if this model has an intregated graphics card within the motherboard or sperate?

It is the nVidia 8400M GT graphics card as far as I know.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi phil3012

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Your problem may, possibly, be linked to a faulty nVidia graphics chip..

Sony released a statement some time ago that some Vaio models, VGN FZ21* included, can have distorted video, random characters or blank screen issues due to failure of the NVIDIA graphics chip.

I suggest you contact Vaio support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

If you want to read Sony's statement click HERE

phil3012
Visitor

Hi phil3012 

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Your problem may, possibly, be linked to a faulty nVidia graphics chip..

Sony released a statement some time ago that some Vaio models, VGN FZ21* included, can have distorted video, random characters or blank screen issues due to failure of the NVIDIA graphics chip.

I suggest you contact Vaio support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

If you want to read Sony's statement click HERE

Thanks Thalamus,

I'm currently in discussions with Sony regarding arranging a return, but I'm a bit concerned over having to pay £150 if they don't find a fault.

The screen problem is very intermittent I used it for several hours the last couple of nights before the issue occurred, but this morning it happened within 20 secs of booting up.

Do you know if Sony will perform a detailed diagnostics?, or just switch it on for a short while, in which case the fault may not occur?

The guy on the phone couldn't answer this question.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Do you know if Sony will perform a detailed diagnostics?, or just switch it on for a short while, in which case the fault may not occur? 

That I don't know for sure, one would hope that Vaio support would do a thorough diagnostic..

Try connecting your Vaio to an external monitor, do you still get the same problems.?

phil3012
Visitor

That I don't know for sure, one would hope that Vaio support would do a thorough diagnostic..

Try connecting your Vaio to an external monitor, do you still get the same problems.?

I've managed to run with an external monitor in parallel to the laptop screen for a few hours and both were fine.

If I try to plug a monitor in when the problem is occuring the monitor can't find a signal.

This has always been at boot up and I'm not sure at what point the external monitor normally con during the boot up process.