Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics driver update, Vaio VPCEF3E1E

profile.country.en_GB.title
deltawiskey
Visitor

Graphics driver update, Vaio VPCEF3E1E

I've been told I need a graphics driver update for graphics card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series, but the manufacturers download ends with "AMD Catalyst Mobility cannot be downloaded due to incompatible hardware/software. The version of your graphics adapter is not supported. Contact manufacturer for update."

Does anyone know where to find this update, if it exists?

The initial problem is that a Java applet from one particular website doesn't run , though others do.

Any help gratefully recieved!

(Windows 7, 64-bit)

Tags (2)
5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If there was an update you would find it on the Support Pages for your model here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/VPCEF3E1E_WI/updates

Unfortunately, there is no update available.

:thinking:

deltawiskey
Visitor

Thanks, I've looked at that page as well as the ATI/AMD one.

The applet suppliers have a diagnostic web page which says my screen resolution is wrong, and should be set to 1280x1024

That resolution is not available on this computer, it is set to 1600x900.

I'm not very impressed if the software won't work on what must be a fairly common screen setting!

Thanks for your advice.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The problem is not the software, the hardware will not support that resolution.

You have bought a computer with a maximum screen resolution of 1600 X 900.  This is the actual number of pixels - so the sreen cannot be set to more than 1600 pixels wide by 900 pixels tall.  If you needed 1024 tall you would have needed to buy a computer with a screen that supports that resolution - Vaios are available with a HD 1080 tall screen but they cost a lot more.

The software is asking for 1280 X 1024 which is the old 5:4 almost square screen layout typically found on an external monitor attached to a desktop tower computer.  The external monitor on my 6 year old Vaio RC102 is 1280 X 1024!  It may have been a fairly common screen setting then!

Your Vaio will display this resolution on an external monitor or a modern HD TV via HDMI that suppots the resolution but it is not possible, and never will be, on the laptop screen.

Perhaps if you would tell us what software you are trying to run, someone may be able to offer some help. Does the Vaio offer a 5:4 resolution?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Just an afterthought - which browser and browser version are you using and which Add-Ons/Plug-ins are enabled for Java?

Which Applet are you trying to run?

deltawiskey
Visitor

The software is embedded in a financial dealing website – you can enter the site for free, but accessing this particular chart drawing program costs money to use.

I mainly use Firefox (originally 8, gone back to 7 then 6 trying to fix problem), which is supposedly the one the website recommends. The Java program performs worst on this – supposedly starts, but nothing happens.

Best of all is Safari – the program appears to load, and will draw the frames to surround the financial data, but won’t put any data inside. Very frustrating. Chrome and IE (32 and64-bit) lie somewhere between the two.

My available resolutions are -

1600x900

1440x900

1360x768

1280x768

1280x720

1152x864

1024x768

800x600

-          none of which equate to 5:4.

And, incidentally, I’ve just tried it (successfully) on a friend’s 1024x768 screen. I can set my laptop to that, but lose an essential part of the screen in the process, and the Java thing still won’t run.

Sorry, where do I find the relevant Add-ons/Plug-ins?

I’ll try an HDMI to TV cable, may take some time.