Join now - be part of our community!

GREEN LINE RUNNING DOWN LEFT OF AR11M SCREEN

zayyad
Visitor

GREEN LINE RUNNING DOWN LEFT OF AR11M SCREEN

can anyone tell me why i suddenly have a green line running straight down my screen? it wasnt here last night but as soon as i switched it on today there it was. at first ot would appear and then disappear but now it is solid. any comments will be greatly appreciated.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi zayyad,

try connecting your Vaio to an external monitor, do you still have the same problem.?

zayyad
Visitor

I just connected it to my TV and the line is not there. My computer is out of warranty and i am fearing a huge payment or a screen replacement. Do you think it is the screen or the video card or something like that?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi,

do you get the same green line when in safe mode.?

To enter safe mode restart your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F8 key repeatedly..

zayyad
Visitor

unfortunately, the line is still there even in safe mode.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi zayyad,

I doubt it's the GPU as the display on the external screen was ok, I would suggest asking a local repairer to try an establish the exact cause, it could be a cabling problem or a more expensive replacement screen.. :slight_frown: ..

Nintensity
Visitor

sounds like you have some 'dead pixels'. basically, the pixels in the LCD go 'dead' and get stuck on a particular colour. its a fairly common problem with LCD, although you usually find it more often in cheaper screens so you've been a bit unlucky as the Sony screens are pretty kick ass! If you've got a Nintendo DS for example, quite a lot of people have the odd one or two pixels frozen on a certain colour on the botton touch screen.

if you were lucky you wouldnt have had a whole line go, sometimes you can just have a few individual pixels. Not much you can do without having a screen replacement i dont think...

zayyad
Visitor

Yeah, all you guys were right. i called sony yesterday and they said it could cost up to £650 to replace the screen on that basis, i am now in the market for a new notebook. The funny thing is that the line runnig down the screen isnt that bad as i can still use the laptop although it has no value at all and i dunno if the rest of the screen will give up to. I like the AR series cos you can now burn blu ray and it has a huge screen. i am considering the AR61S, does anyone have it and is it any good? is there something similar in the market from other manufacturers?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

The funny thing is that the line runnig down the screen isnt that bad as i can still use the laptop although it has no value at all and i dunno if the rest of the screen will give up to.

If you can still see the screen and you can live with the green line then I would stick with what you have for a while.. :wink: