Join now - be part of our community!

Hard disc problem message from windows

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Drosophilia
Visitor

Hard disc problem message from windows

I have a VPCL13S1E that keeps getting a message from windows that there is a hard drive problem and back up before it fails  ST31000528S ATA device. I have run the hard disc diagnostic from viao care for both local disc C and memory, both of which say there is no problems.

So I am now don't know if there is or is not anything wrong with the hard drive or not. Can anyone help with this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Drosophilia,

I would not ignore this SMART warning.

SMART detects both mechanical and electronic component problems. Error checking on the disk surface will not detect these problems.

Either backup all your data or make a mirror image of the drive while these functions are available to you. Usually it is not a case of ‘if’ but ‘when’ the drive fails...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
binbash

Hi Drosophilia

You can try to run the windows checking tool on the disk itself.

You can go to My Computer, right click on the Local Drive C and click on Properties, a new window will pop up, select the Tools tab from this and then run the Error-checking .

Hopefully that will pick up something.

Keep us posted :slight_smile:

Drosophilia
Visitor

Hi Binbash

Tried your suggestion. Error checking did not show up any errors. A system check CHKDSK also did not report any errors.

On opening up prior to the checking there is a message on the scree     Pri Master Hard Disc S.M,AR.T. Status BAD Backupand replace.

So I am still confused as to whether there is a major problem. Outlook Express is tending to freeze when the Window message appears and respondswhen the meassage is closed.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Drosophilia,

I would not ignore this SMART warning.

SMART detects both mechanical and electronic component problems. Error checking on the disk surface will not detect these problems.

Either backup all your data or make a mirror image of the drive while these functions are available to you. Usually it is not a case of ‘if’ but ‘when’ the drive fails...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Drosophilia
Visitor

Hi Rich

Thanks for this-I'll contact Sony for the next step.