Join now - be part of our community!

Hard drive noise

Hard drive noise

Not sure if this normal or not, but when I got my Vaio pocket it was completely silent whilst playing songs. A few days later however you can hear the drive spinning - it's not very loud but you can definitely hear the driving starting to spin when it's turned on, and a slight high-pitched noise when in use (you can hear this at reading distance - about a foot away from face).

Is this just what I should expect or should I return it for a more quiet unit?

9 REPLIES 9
hldomster
Visitor

What type of VAIO is it, some are noiser than others. My FS115 S is only noisyish during startup, or when a CD or DVD is used, apart from that it is extremely silent. If it used to eb quiet and now it is noisy, then I think this may be a hardware fault. I suggest t=you contact VAIO-Link for a repair.

Welcome to Club-VAIO by the way:smileygrin:

Hornby
Visitor

People must understand that Hardrives do infact make noise. When you get Hardrives with larger memory then this is very normal.

Mine does make noise but just slight noise, when shutting down or turning on.

Basically whats it doing is building up the cache files so that the HDD performs at an optimal rate.

This is normal guys please dont be worried. :slight_smile:

Hornby
Visitor

(you can hear this at reading distance - about a foot away from face).

That is not normal though !! ^^^^^^^^ 😛

Oh yeh and Hi.

It's a VGF-AP1L.
Awesome unit but it looks like I'm going to have to take the next month off work to get all my music properly sorted in SonicStage!

Yeh I know hard drives do make some noise, but it has become much more noticable since I first started using it - just wanted to get a straw pole of whether this is normal or not.

The noise mine makes as you start up and shut down is the same as when you skip tracks so it doesn't sound that normal.

Hornby
Visitor

Right well if it has become louder this is because of two points.

1) faulty hardware.

or

2) You have added more music onto the Hardrive.

When their is more fileing to route though on a HDD their is often more power directed to it, so that the performance is optimal.

Maybe you have put more music on? if so then dont worry. Though hearing it from a foot away seems odd.

Oh i had 25gb of music and i had to reformat, didnt have a chance to back it up 😛

Im busy getting it all back right now.

Good thing is i sent someone my list so i know what i need exactly, still its a **** pain up the ***. :cry:

<Comment edited by Moderator to remove profanity>

hldomster
Visitor

This is expected I think, it allows the player to start up quickly.

Well the shop is only down the road (sometimes it pays to not get everything mail order!) and I've just exchanged no problems anyways. It will be interesting to see how loud the new one is.

hldomster if your theory is correct, It should get noisier starting up after I put a fair amount of music again on the new one so I'll see. If this happens, I'll format it and then see if it goes quiet again.

Aside from the startup sound, I don't see how having more music on the player should make the hard drive generally louder whilst playing a song.

thx

Hornby
Visitor

'I don't see how having more music on the player should make the hard drive generally louder whilst playing a song.'

Ever had that much programs running on your computer your cpu and HDD begins to get louder, well its the same for the Vp.

It is a computer at the end of the day with a HDD.

Good news -
Looks like that particular player was just noisy - I now have a new one, with more music now on it than I had before and I can't hear the hard drive unless I hold it right up to my face now.