Join now - be part of our community!

Hardware Malfunction -Call your Hardware Vendor for Support

RhonaToh
Visitor

Hardware Malfunction -Call your Hardware Vendor for Support

I have had my Vaio since 24/12/06. Since March '06 I have had 7 hardware failures. Telephone assistance tells me to remove the battery! This doesn't always work. PC World restored the laptop to factory settings about 2 weeks ago and one hour later it did the same. They had it for 2 weeks for testing and said it checked out normal! I took it home and sure enough - again hardware malfunction - does anyone else experience this problem?? Are PC World pushing their luck? I would welcome any help to ensure this doesn't keep happening. thanks. Rhona :smileygrin:

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Rhona and welcome to the forum.

As you have not provided details of the hardware failure it is difficult to offer any specific advice but as the hardware vendor is Sony I suggest that you open a case with them.

Click on Support (at the top of this page) e-support, or better still call Vaio-Link

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
RhonaToh
Visitor

Hi Rich
Thank you for your reply. I will try the links to get some more information. When the malfunction occurs it says NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error - does this shed any more light on the problem??
Regards
Rhona

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Rhona,

Sounds like a duff memory module, or a Video Card Driver problem. Have you upgraded your memory recently?

Here are some suggested fixes from Microsoft: -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315223

I would try Windows Memory Diagnostic which is on that page and if there are no errors I would upgrade the video driver.

You don't tell us which model Vaio you have so I can't be more specific about drivers.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That Memory Diagnostics Tool in Vista is very welcome imho.

RhonaToh
Visitor

Blencogo - I'm just doing diagnostics etc and will be off to PC world on Sat with a bit more percise info to question them on! Model is Via VGN-N11H/W.
Thanks - Rhona