Join now - be part of our community!

HELP!!! MY SONY LAPTOP KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN

Peteri
Visitor

HELP!!! MY SONY LAPTOP KEEPS SHUTTING DOWN

Hello,

My VGN-FJ3S/W keeps on shutting down a few minutes after it's been turned on! Why is this? and how do I fix it??? Can anyone help??

I was running vista on it, and decided to go back to xp, cus too much stuff wouldnt work. Now that xp is up again, it keeps shutting itself off. Just like that, no 'windows is shutting down' it just switches off. When I turn it on it starts up like nothing's wrong.

It gets really hot aswell, but this was never a problem before, when I upgraded to vista, the overheating stopped. But now its come back,

Again: Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can fix it????

Thanks

Peter

23 REPLIES 23
Peteri
Visitor

OK One more question

Holding the can upright does that mean the laptop should be held up sideways?

apierc1
Visitor

Just have laptop as normal, maybe sitting at the edge of a table or desk, if it's anything like mine you'll get a puff od dust come out, good luck.

Peteri
Visitor

Oh,

so I spray it through the hot air out slots on the side, rather than the air in on the bottom of the notebook?

Peter

apierc1
Visitor

I'm not sure where the fan ventilation will be on your machine, mine is at the hinge on the right, not on the bottom, but at the back as if you are looking at the laptop normally, just like a nuber of slits, give it a spray, not too close so not to damage the fan, it may be on the side of the machine, but extreemly unlikely to be underneath as this would then mean the ventilations would be partially blocked by whatever surface it is on :slight_smile:

Peteri
Visitor

Yea I know what you mean,

But I think the fan is actually on the bottom, anyway I will spray these slits at the side anyway, I thought they were the hot air out slits kind of thing. After this i'l turn it on and I'l post my findings.

Wish me luck!

apierc1
Visitor

Good luck, hope it helps solve your issue.

Peteri
Visitor

Heres what I noted:

The fan was not on at all. But the tempreture was at about 50 - 60 celcius, but I am assuming this is still too high so I shut my laptop down.

So I think I have to open it. Or should I try the airduster again?

apierc1
Visitor

I suppose I would try the air duster again, maybe a short burst closer to the vent, but opening it is up to you, personally I would probably consider taking it to a computer shop if it is no longer in warranty as not to break anything, maybe the fan has got clogged and has broken?

Peteri
Visitor

Yea,

I've got cover anyway. I've turned it on again, and the temp - is still in the 50's, what is a good tempreture for it to be at. My friend said 30 degree's celcius. But that seems impossible for me right now...

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Peter,

A temperature in the 50's is fine, only desktop processors run in the 30's.

A running temperature, with your processor, would normally be between 50 - 55 when idle and will rise to the mid/high 60's when under extreme load.

I think you have solved the problem but keep MobileMeter running and monitor the temperature under normal usage for a few days.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat