Join now - be part of our community!

Help - PCVRZ322 startup problem

Jimbo
Visitor

Help - PCVRZ322 startup problem

Hi

Only received my RZ322 PC yesterday but I may have a fault.

When the system starts and you log onto XP, you hear the Windows music jingle as normal, but quite often this jingle is crackly through the speakers, almost as if the signal to the speakers is interrupted momentarily.

On the recommendation off Sony Support (phoned 3 times!) I've reinstalled the graphics card, downloaded an update from the Vaio-Link website, and as a last resort, did a full system reset/recovery, and still the problem remains.

The rest of the time, the sound is fine, eg. other Windows jingles, CDs, Gigapocket etc...

It may sound like a little niggle, but being as my PC is so new, I wanna make sure everything is working OK!

If this is something that is normal on boot-up then fine, I'm happy to accept it, but if not, I wanna get it sorted.

Any advice appreciated! Many thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I would go to Windows Update and get the latest fixes from MS too.

Snipes
Visitor

A friend of mine had the same problem, he says.....................

I had the same problem that you do, and I tried every solution listed on every webpage I could find, including lowering the volume and installing the latest SoundMAX drivers from www.asus.com. The first time that I installed the drivers, I did so through the InstallShield wizard and chose the upgrade option. This did not solve my problem.

I completely uninstalled the SoundMAX drivers and application through ControlPanel->Add/Remove programs. Windows detected my sound hardware again, and this time, I chose the driver directory and let Windows install the driver. I did not install the driver through InstallShield. Also, I did not install the SoundMAX application that goes in the taskbar.

My audio sounds awesome now, and I haven't heard any of the scratchiness or crackling. I hope this helps you.

Jimbo
Visitor

Snipes et al...

Thanks for that. Regarding manually installing drivers, what exactly do you do?! And how? I'm a bit of a numpty with these sort of things, and don't wanna screw up anything on my system. I can easily uninstall the SoundMax, but reinstalling it through Windows ("...I chose the driver directory and let windows install the driver....") is the bit I'm not sure about!!! Any help would be great, many thanks.

Jimbo
Visitor

Snipes et al...

Thanks for that. Regarding manually installing drivers, what exactly do you do?! And how? I'm a bit of a numpty with these sort of things, and don't wanna screw up anything on my system. I can easily uninstall the SoundMax, but reinstalling it through Windows ("...I chose the driver directory and let windows install the driver....") is the bit I'm not sure about!!! Any help would be great, many thanks.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Jimbo,

All you have to do is uninstall the drivers for the SoundMAX card, and restart your PC. The PC will detect the card, and ask you whether you have drivers. Say yep, and click on browse. The ones you have just downloaded might be in C:\drivers\SoundMax\New\ .

Just selecting the directory and letting Windows do the work should work how Snipes described.

Snipes
Visitor

well said kee-lo

Jimbo
Visitor

Thanks Snipes and Kee-Lo. I'll give all that a go!