Join now - be part of our community!

Hinges/Hinge Covers

carrutmb
Visitor

Hinges/Hinge Covers

Hi everyone,

I have a 317s which is just over 7 months old. The hinges seem to be coming loose, or the covers. One seems to move side to side. Has anyone else had this problem. The screen seems quite stiff to open......creaks a bit...!!

The machine has already required repair and was fully checked so I presumed that the effort to open the screen was normal.

Many thanks,
Mark.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This is not an uncommon problem but I am surprised to hear that you are experiencing this after just a few months. This stiffness and creaking can ultimately lead to a fracture of the hinge mechanism….

My daughter’s Vaio, which is somewhat older than yours, developed this symptom and the obvious stress and distortion caused to the plastic parts surrounding the hinge, when opening and closing the lid, was quite alarming. I eventually opened it up and drizzled WD40 (via a thin screwdriver with kitchen paper to catch the excess) onto the hinge. This worked a treat and is now as free and easy to move as the day it was delivered.

Having said that, your notebook is still in warranty and I therefore suggest that you open a case with Vaio-Link a.s.a.p.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
carrutmb
Visitor

Many thanks,

I have opened a case and I am now waiting on a call to discuss. Initially they said this would be down to accidental damage on my part, seems when I mentioned the screen was stiff to open they think it may need looked at....???

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

This should not happen within 7 months of purchase and certainly needs to be looked at. Don’t accept any ‘accidental damage’ claims on their behalf, unless you have thrown it out of the window, in exasperation, of course:smileywink:
Best of luck.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat