Join now - be part of our community!

How to obtain Vista Home Premium Installation DVD?

aabbccdd
Visitor

How to obtain Vista Home Premium Installation DVD?

Hi,

I recently bought a Vaio "VGN-FE41S" with Vista "Home Premium" pre-installed - an "OEM" installation, I guess.

How can I obtain the original Home Premium installation DVD, in case I need to re-install. The laptop came with a "Windows "Anytime Upgrade"" DVD, which, I presume, is not what I'm looking for.

I can supply, to Sony, all the requisite information regarding proof of the original Vaio purchase.

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi aabbccdd,

It is necessary to create your own copy of the Recovery Media by using the Vaio Recovery Utility - click start > All Programs > Vaio Recocery Tool > Vaio Recovery Utility , and follow the on screen instructions.

This will not be the same as a Windows Vista Home Premium installation CD but it will allow you to recovery your computer to "as delivered".

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
aabbccdd
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Does this mean the most I can do, in case of a fault, is return the laptop/Vista to its 'delivery' state?

What if, in the unlikely event of a crash or a, more-likely, virus/trojan, etc., infection, I needed to re-install Vista?

What if I wanted to buy a new P.C. or laptop or the laptop was stolen: can I not re-install Vista? Have I paid, simply, for a single installation of Vista and that's it?

I know I should always back-up and there are programs to make regular complete copies of the hard-drive, should anything bad happen, but it does seem astonishing.

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi aabbccdd,

Does this mean the most I can do, in case of a fault, is return the laptop/Vista to its 'delivery' state?

Yes unfortunately it does. Sony, like virtually all OEM?s, only supply a limited licence version of the operating system.
What if I wanted to buy a new P.C. or laptop or the laptop was stolen: can I not re-install Vista? Have I paid, simply, for a single installation of Vista and that's it?

The simple answer to your question is yes, you have paid a one off (limited) licence (at a reduced cost) that is limited to the machine that you have purchased.

I'm sure that if there are any legal eagles on the forum they will be able to provide further guidance, but as far as I am aware you need to purchase a full retail version of windows in order to transfer the licence to another system.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
aabbccdd
Visitor

B*st*rds.

Sorry. Hi Rich,

Is it possible to purchase another 'single' licence, for emergencies, or until I sort out a proper back-up strategy?

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi aabbccdd,

What is your main concern with the recovery utility, is it that you have no backup of your data or that you would prefer a clean install or possibly wish (at some stage) to migrate the licence to another machine?

As far as I am aware you cannot purchase a further licence for the OEM version that you already own but quite honestly I am not up to speed with either the legality or practicality of this.

I think that most users find that as long as there is a full backup of personal data then the restore process is fairy painless but time consuming.

I would recommend Acronis True Image for backing up data (which also has the facility to either clone or produce an image of your hard disk) but Vista does have its own backup utility which you will find by clicking start > Accessories > System Tools > Backup Status and Configuration. I recommend that you save your backup to either an external hard drive or removable media.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
aabbccdd
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I don't really have a concern regarding using the 'recovery' utility save for the fact I haven't ever used this kind of facility before.

I've performed a 'clean install' of XP on my current P.C. and transfered all the settings and files without much hassle, so was just interested whether I could do the same with my Vista laptop in the future. I'm still a relative novice so would like to stick with the devil I know.

To be honest, I've started and stopped researching backing-up data so many times and heard good things of Acronis True Image but I haven't ever knuckled-down and set it all up. It seems like it's more urgent, now.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

bertnut
Visitor

Hi

I have the same machine and the Windows Vista Anytime disc you have will put a clean copy of Vista on your machine. You will have to install drivers etc from the recovery discs you should make from your excisting installation.

As I see it, make your recovery discs, this will allow you to return you machine to the exact state it was when you bought it. Also these discs have the drivers and applicatios on them seperatly that your machine came with which can be used if you install a clean copy of Vista only.

Hope this helps

Shaun