Join now - be part of our community!

How to Replace PCV-RZ44G CD/DVD Drive

Myrmidon
Visitor

How to Replace PCV-RZ44G CD/DVD Drive

A friend of mine just bought a PCV-RZ44G and wants me to replace the CD/DVD drive with another one he bought. Before I try to figure it out by trial and error, would anyone know if it's even possible to do this, or how difficult it might be? The drives appear to be integrated with the case to some degree, and the manual conspicuously omits any information regarding CD/DVD drive installation.

6 REPLIES 6
Snipes
Visitor

yes its possible, just simply pull off the front cover of the tower, its not screwed in (not to my knowlegde) it just pops off, then simply unscrew the side panels, undo the screws in either side of the drive you wish to remove, take out the ide cable from the back of the drive you want to remove, and pull out teh drive from the front, then replace with your new drive, and hey presto, hope it helps, :smileygrin:

( P.S ) make sure the computer has no power whilst doing this) lol

Myrmidon
Visitor

Thank you very much for the reply! However, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same model, here... Or perhaps the North American version has a different case design than the European version. I couldn't find any way to pop off the front panel. Looking at it from both the inside and the outside, the outer panels seem to be quite securely attached to the rest of the case. Just to verify, does the model you're thinking of have a black stripe running down the middle? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershoproot/eCS/Store/en/imagesProducts/250x250/RZ44G.jpg

I hope it's not just my incompetence preventing me from doing something simple...

Snipes
Visitor

Please accept my appologies, i miss red you computer spec, ok try this

1.Shut down your computer and turn off all peripheral devices, such as your printer.
2.Unplug your computer and disconnect any peripheral devices.
3.Place the system unit on its side.
4.Locate the two tabs on the back edge of the right side panel.
5.Press up on these tabs and slide the side panel towards you.
6.Lift the side panel up and set aside.

Now your in, do this on both sides, then the front panel should pop off via4 little clips which you can see now thei side panels are off.

Now unscrew the drive you wish to change on both sides (4 screws 2 on each side)
Take out the IDE cable from the back of the drive, and slide out from the front,

Now slide you new drive into the front, connect the ide cables, screw back into place,
replace the front +side panels

profile.country.en_GB.title
tellingd
Visitor

Nice directions :smileygrin:

Myrmidon
Visitor

Thanks for all the help. I was able to successfully replace my drive. I had to follow a slightly different procedure, though, so I thought I'd describe what I did for the benefit of anyone else who might find the need to replace one of their optical drives in this type of computer.

"Left" and "right" refer to the sides which would be in those positions when looking at the upright computer from the front.

1. Unplug the computer.

2. Lay the computer on its left side, so that the right side is now on top (I recommend doing this side first so that the computer does not have to be laid on its open cavity in step 4, below).

3. Remove the right panel. There are two tabs at the back of the panel which need to be pulled up (relative to the computer's current orientation) in order to release it. It's a little bit tricky, since I don't think Sony intended to have this panel removed by the consumer.

4. Either place the computer in an upright position or lay it on its right side, so that the left side is on top. The latter position may make removal of the panel slightly easier.

5. Remove the left panel. There are two tabs at the back of the panel which need to be pressed. These tabs are easy to release, since Sony designed this panel for removal by the consumer. Slide the panel towards the back slightly, then lift it away.

6. Return the computer to an upright position if it was laid on its side.

7. The top panel has a lip which covers the top portion of the front panel. The top panel must therefore be removed before the front panel can be removed. The panel is held in place by six plastic hooks or latches which extend from the bottom of the panel and snap into slots in the top of the internal metal case. These hooks must be pushed sideways before they can be pulled out of their slots. Some of the hooks are accessible only through small holes in the sheet metal case. In these cases, you will need to peer around with a flashlight and then, once you've located the hook, push it in using a long, thin instrument, such as a screwdriver. Some of them are a couple inches away from the "access holes," so it may take a little searching. Once all the hooks have been released, remove the top panel.

8. The front panel is held in place in the same fashion as the top panel -- with six plastic hooks which extend from the back of the panel and snap into slots in the front of the internal metal case. They are slightly easier to access than those of the top panel. Remove the front panel in the same manner as the top panel.

9. On the left side of the computer, unscrew the two screws holding the old drive in place. There are no screws on the right side -- they are held there by friction. Pull the drive out slightly to provide some working room. Detach the IDE cable and the power cable from the back of the drive. Pull the drive the rest of the way out.

10. Insert the new drive partway (remember to set the jumper properly, first). Attach the IDE and power cables. Insert the drive the rest of the way. Screw in one screw partway, leaving a little play on the drive, then screw in the second screw, and finally, finish securing the first screw.

11. Replace the front panel followed by the top panel. They should snap into place easily.

12. Snap the side panels back into place. This may be slightly easier to do if you put the computer on its side first. If you do it this way, I recommend replacing the left panel first, for the reason mentioned above.

13. Plug the computer back in and turn it on.

Snipes
Visitor

Just what i said lol :laughing: glad you have sorted it out :cool: